Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing a new Scutum Emblem/Scheme (Controversial!)
no wuckin' furries, Matt ! :wink: .....as we say here - if you need more detail I can provide my original sketches, as elsewhere ( see Auxiliary Shield threads )...as noted, these sketches are pretty accurate, because they were made from a cast of the Column ( which has now suffered so much damage from pollution as to be indecipherable in parts) and were made from a distance of two-three feet ! Smile D
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I think that is the same info Jorge used to come up wit ha design for my republican scuta, although no direct copy.... 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The Roman group mentioned is the IX the lost legion, if anyone cares to visit the attached;-

http://www.yorkromanfestival.com/history.htm

will see a brief glimpse of the tunic and scuta colours
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
The 'not really so lost', 'lost' nineth legon that is :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ave Magnus!

I'm really on the fence with the color - I'd say either. But I admit I like the green - something a little bit different!

The Tabulae - Personally I'd suggest you go with "LEG*II" and "COH*III"

The thunderbolts - again, I could go either way, but you could have a 3rd, straight/vertical thunderbolt (or "arrow) up the middle of the shield - In a manner of speaking, to signify "Third" for the Cohort, if it is true that Cohorts had differing designs; but also as *I* personally like seeing lots of thunderbolts "shooting out" from the boss/center, just has a nice artistic and dramatic feel to it.

Or perhaps a second "zigzag" in your existing pair of bolts? Although that may get a little complicated - as I do like your approach on keeping it simple.

Nice design, either way!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Our old design had a center bolt....here's a picture of it.

See, I'd like to shove the "COH III" in there somewhere, but I also feel that TR FOR is as essential because of the other 2nd Legions out there (there's 1 in our neck of the woods, 2nd AVG). So I'm not sure what to do....

Legion: TBD
You could add an element across the top edge that employs " COH III" and perhaps the name of the Cohors as well.

We do it in Roman script... COH III EXPG CEN I HIB CON I SCITHI
identifying the Cohors Centuria and Contubernium
.. but something more formal might work....
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Quote: http://www.yorkromanfestival.com/history.htm

"In AD400 the Germanics were beginning to enter York and certainly by AD4I0 the Roman Emperor Honorius (AD395 - 423) had withdrawn all of his soldiers and Hadrian’s Wall was finally abandoned. Roman rule in Britain ended…"

Yikes! Confusedhock: Where DO they get their information.... :roll:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert, I saw it on youtube, so it must be true, right? :wink: :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legionaries different uniform/armour colour scheme Jack 8 4,626 10-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Evidence of the Legio XIIII scutum emblem DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS 20 6,617 08-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  choosing equipment DanM 16 3,998 11-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes