Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
feathers
I've got a Motefortino helmet and i don't want a horsetail on it but i want feathers.

In one of the books i borrowed i saw 1 black feather and two purple feathers.
If someone has a purper bird i like have 2 feathers.

But i think that is not possible, but what i want to know is to paint feathers purple the original way.
[size=150:1eo9aiz4]errare hvmanvm est[/size]

ALEXANDER TIBERIVS MAXIMVS
Gerard Schotgerrits

CORBVLO
Gerard, did you know this shop? Otherwise, it would be good to talk to Robert Wimmers.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hmmm, tricky one. True purple for a period feather would be somewhat hard, me thinks. Big Grin Depending on the size of the feather, the best bet would be magpie (ekster) tail or blue heron (Ardea cinerea = blauwe reiger), both native to these parts of Europe. The purple heron (Ardea purpurea = purper reiger) is not common in the delta's nowadays, but does breed here, so could be a very good candidate as well. The last one that comes to mind is the Crane (Grus grus), but these are extremely rare in these parts, occuring in middle Europe in swamps.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Mallards can also have a few purple feathers and also some roosters on their tail. Anyway romans are able to buy some feathers to merchant from southern Sahara...

and also the feathers of the Black grouse (Tetrao tetrix) or the Capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus) which can sometimes seem black with purple effects under the sun. Perhaps ?!

regards
Greg Reynaud (the ferret)
[Image: 955d308995.jpg] Britto-roman milites, 500 AD
Dye.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yup. Get white goose feathers (the goose being sacred to Jupiter), and dye them. A tiny bit of Tyrian purple would be wonderful, of course, otherwise just use madder and overdye with indigo. A purplish red or crimson was probably more common than true purple, I'd guess.

I actually mixed red and blue leather dye for mine! But it's not waterproof. Fabric dyes will work.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Or alternatively, cheat and get some ready-dyed purple feathers from the craft store! Our local shop has all colours in goose feathers for children who want to dress up as Native Americans.
How, paleface, I am the purple Chief!

Oh well, sorry for all the birdlore, true, dye does solve all problems. Some people even turn a finch into a kanarie that way and sell it for good money.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I saw some really nice ones in York, but was distracted from a purchase.... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel