Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angus McBride color plate : can you identify this ?
Avete,

I've found a color plate of a Visigoth drawn by Angus McBride but I don't know which book it was originally published in.

Can someone identify which Osprey title this color plate comes from ?

It's not from any of the "Rome's Enemies" titles, I checked.

hmm...anyone know ?

~Theo
Jaime
Hi Theo,

it is from Osprey's Warrior series, exactly: 'Germanic Warrior AD 236 - 568', contains a lot of McBride's beautiful paints (Battle of Straßburg, Germanic shield wall at Campus Mauriacus, etc.):

[url:bc6zzhzf]http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_detail.php/title=P5861~ser=WAR~per=40[/url]

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Thanks, Uwe !

Laudes to you Smile

I'll have to order that title now.

~Theo
Jaime
I have a copy, but see I was beaten to the post! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote: but see I was beaten to the post
Better TO than BY, eh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
True, although some people mig...never mind :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
awesome book to have Wink i've got the kit in the works
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Quote:awesome book to have Wink i've got the kit in the works

The helmet is all wrong, with McBride oddly persisting in the 'circular earcaps' that in the past were wrongly drawn on an earlier Osprey reconstruction of the Intercisa helmet.

The place of the knife.. I'd call that extremly dangerous to the wearer's private parts! Big Grin And also, to suspend a sharp knife just from one ring would mean the thing is constantly danglin' about...

The belt - I know the suspension ring on the upper size of the belt, attached to a suspension belt, certainly provides some balance. I also know that this is how the Dorchester-on-Thames belt was reconstructed, but I've never seen any artistic or other evidence that supports this solution.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:The helmet is all wrong, with McBride oddly persisting in the 'circular earcaps' that in the past were wrongly drawn on an earlier Osprey reconstruction of the Intercisa helmet.

I was puzzled by that helmet too and couldn't find anything from my sources to confirm its authenticity. Like you said, this book is 12 years old but I'm not so sure that McBride was to blame. The author, Simon MacDowall, has other multiple, faulty reconstuctions from his two other Osprey books on Late Roman equipment. McBride did not illustrate those so I suspect the author is ultimately responsible.

Another item that caught my eye was how short the tunic sleeves are on this Visigoth and on other Germanic figures drawn by McBride. What's the source for this ? I thought Roman and German tunics were virtually indistinguishable from each other - both having long, tight sleeves. But the book plates show loose, baggy sleeves which end at the mid-forearm :?

~Theo
Jaime

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Osprey Gladiators - Wisdom/McBride richsc 82 20,701 12-21-2002, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Gashford
  for Angus McBride fans Anonymous 0 1,136 08-27-2002, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Anonymous