Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle of Zama
My friend's son is resarching the Battle of Zama. Any suggestions on good sources for him to reference?
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
The original sources are:-

Polybius XV.9-14; and Livy XXX.32-35

The best modern source is J.F. Lazenby "Hannibal's War" pp220-226 published by Aris & Phillips Ltd 1978 ISBN 0 85668 080 X

I have also written an in-depth analysis of the battle which I can send, if you P.M. me with an e-mail address.........
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
http://www.attalus.org/

Kind regards
Pulled a few of the shelf Big Grin
The Punic Wars; Nigel Bagnall.
A History of the Roman Republic; Cyril E Robinson.
A History of the Roman world 753-146 BC; H H Scullard.
Hannibal Vol 1&2; Theodore Ayrault Dodge.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Although a bit outdated I would also recommend B.H. Liddell Hart's Scipio Africanus: Greater than Napoleon. It was my first intro to the Punic Wars and still have in my shelf.
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
Thanks to all for your responses. One of the best things about RAT is that no matter what aspect of Roman history you're researching there are always members who can lead you in the right direction. I have encouraged my friend's son to join us so he can learn and contribute. Special thanks to you Paullus Scipio for the copy of your article. Although the Pre-Imperial Period is not my usual area of interest, your article managed to both entertain me and relieve me of some of my ignorance. Doing either is hard enough.
Regards,
Randi R.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Glad to have been of service to a frater!....and I hope this leads to an awakening interest in one of the "best" periods of Roman history !! Smile D
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Glad to have been of service to a frater!....and I hope this leads to an awakening interest in one of the "best" periods of Roman history !! Smile D

It is rather interesting......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Pen & Sword have just published Hannibal's Last Battle: Zama and the Fall of Carthage by Brian Todd Carey which gives a good overview of all the Punic wars and so really puts the battle into context. Plenty of nice maps and diagrams.

Phil Sidnell

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where was the Battle of Zama? Zama 1 71 04-06-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Michael Collins
  Zama: The Battle That Never Was? antiochus 57 24,961 09-15-2021, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Hanny
  Kbor Klib - A site for the battle of Zama Michael Collins 2 433 05-17-2021, 06:54 AM
Last Post: Michael Collins