Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kessel Shield for Early Batavian Impression
Well, Robert, I guess you'll have to refer to Peronis on that -- we are following his standards for COH I BAT and we received the guidance for this sidearm from him.

I'd love to see one of the La Tene sidearms to which you refer -- have you made one you can show us? Big Grin
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
Examples of an early sax-type weapon from Hjortspring can be seen below. The picture is from "Rome's Enemies: Germanics and Dacians" by Peter Wilcox, p. 11. He also says on the next page that a sax was introduced by the end of the second La-Tene phase (3rd-2nd c BCE).
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
I think it somewhat arguable that these weapons are correctly called sax/seax knives......whilst somewhat short, I would consider ( and in fact have always considered! ) these weapons to be short (stabbing) swords....the smallish size being because of the (relative) scarcity of iron in Germany at that time....clearly these are primary weapons, not secondary knives.......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
"Sax" or "seax" is in fact an incorrect term, or, we can say, a modern term to identificate the weapon, because the first use of the term "seax" is on medieval texts.

However, we are in front of an opportunity weapon, exactly like the celtic knife...something that could be used all the time as a tool, and in war time as a weapon, as the framea (basically an hunting spear) the hand to hand weapon of most of germanic warriors.

Only the richest germanic warriors could have weapons that were conceived expressly for war.
------------------------------------------------------------
P.S.
The photos of the Batavian warrior are wonderful!
Gioal Canestrelli "Caturix"

- www.evropantiqva.org -
Quote:It is the DPKa Celtic sword.

I plan to convert the scabbard and hilt to conform to the finds at Kessel-Lith later this year.

Regards,

Edge

Please, could you post here some images of the Kessel-Lith sword?
Gioal Canestrelli "Caturix"

- www.evropantiqva.org -
....by way of elaboration, these single-edged, short sword/large knives are known to German archaeologists as kampfmesser (lit: battle-knives) and these became common toward the end of the Hallstadt period, replacing earlier bronze swords around 70-75cm long.They vary quite a lot in size, and occur on many sites such as Vimose and Krogsbolle.Occasionally, Celtic La Tene swords turn up. In the late second and early first century BC, a larger single-edged slashing sword appears, and lasts until the third century AD when Roman-style swords come to predominate....German tribesmen lacked iron, and swords were rare.Even rarer was body armour (the Hjortspring finds are exceptional in this regard) or helmets.
This remains the case until the late second century/third century when ring-swords and axes make their appearance in German weaponry, and helmets and mail make a gradual, but still very limited, appearance. Actual imported Roman-made swords markedly increase from the early third century ("gun-running" across borders is not new !! )
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Please, could you post here some images of the Kessel-Lith sword?

Hilts (bronze discs c.20mm diameter) Organic remains now lost could have been wood, horn, antler or bone.

[Image: Kesselswords.jpg]

Bronze sheet scabbard plates (front only)

[Image: kesselscabbards.jpg]
Thanks, Peronis.

I intend to make a scabbard as above, and re-hilt the sword per the above while retaining the existing pommel and guard.

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
No Germanic knives to show yet, as I am still working on the spearheads and the butt spikes for the hasta's I pledged for the Roman Festival (Jaspers mad bunch of renegade Batavians) and the shields. I want to make a Kessel as well, but need to make some extra throwing spearheads to trade with Jurjen for an extra boss, first. Much work to be done (and I am lousy at posting fotographs, Jasper, please improve that feature!!) Sad
I have selected a late La Tene design and am making the blades with integrated curved handle totaling about 35 centimeters (14") long. The handles will be wrapped in leather, may use raw hide with ends tucked back in and set fast to allow for the shrinkage to get a solid purchase. Nasty pieces of work at close range! :twisted:
I have set aside two very nice pieces of steel for the job, but then again it is always taking a chance forging steel with unknows carbon content (even if you do the "spark-test" on a grinder), so I will go slow and guard against overheating.
What period is the horizontaly worn pugio, anyone??
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:No Germanic knives to show yet, as I am still working on the spearheads and the butt spikes for the hasta's I pledged for the Roman Festival (Jaspers mad bunch of renegade Batavians) and the shields.
See it as a lot of training!

Quote:I have selected a late La Tene design and am making the blades with integrated curved handle totaling about 35 centimeters (14") long. The handles will be wrapped in leather, may use raw hide with ends tucked back in and set fast to allow for the shrinkage to get a solid purchase. Nasty pieces of work at close range! :twisted:
So, you finally decided you going to make some blades? Cool.

Quote:What period is the horizontaly worn pugio, anyone??

Are you reffering to the titelberg? As I remember right it's first century BC, but I'm not sure of that.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I am not sure I am refering to a certain type of pugio, but I saw some pictures of sculpture depicting the pugio worn slung in a horizontal position, but can't remember where :oops:
It IS a lot of training, Jurjen, I am by no means complaining, just short on time to get it all made Big Grin lol:
Kessel will get a leather outer covering, by the way, inside linen, have enough for two shield, will need the brass strips, then.
Guess what, someone gave me an authentic World War II bayonet with a 40 centimeter blade to turn into a Celtic spear or something! Guess I'd beter sell that to a collector on E-Bay and buy TONS of iron from the take instead of ruining a historic relic. But that does go to show how weapons got recycled!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:Are you reffering to the titelberg? As I remember right it's first century BC, but I'm not sure of that.

Horizontal? The Titelberg dagger report shows that it had four suspension rings, so it was probably worn vertically.
I think it was possibly an option for it, as there is a sculpture of a pugio worn horizontally, looks like a titleburg if mmsmc.......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I guess, Robert means the Gravestone of Minucius Lorarius, centurion of Legio Martia, around 49-42 BC. The stone is now in the Museo Civico, Padova. There is clearly a Pugio depicted, horizontally worn before the belly.
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Hmm. yes, I believe you are right! The time would be fitting for a cross over in the way "support weapons" as the pugio or the knives refered to as seax (although I doubt they were called that then) were worn, in a horizontal suspension. These are very easy to draw, by the way, I am looking forward to making some and trying them out worn that way. They look to be very horrific pieces of hardware for closer range slashing and stabbing. The curved handle suggests use as slashing weapons, as the balance would favor such a motion. The point appears to be slightly dropped, making a good stab very believable too. With no guard, blocking would be difficult, though. But then there is the Kessel shield for that. Can't wait to try them out Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Kessel Belt reconstruction. Peroni 5 2,193 11-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Kessel-Lith Sword Gaius_Calvus 12 3,038 10-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Conal
  Germanic shield boss for a batavian impression Marcus Mummius 7 3,872 07-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Peroni