Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the use of the drum - military cadence
Well, that would certainly help settle things!

Legion: TBD
It is certainly how I read it , anyway, but there are many who disagree, as you have possibly noticed! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'm in the IN STEP camp. I can't prove it, but it's just the best way to move a bunch of ranks and files around in an organized manner, or march very far in formation.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Getting back to the drumming question: I saw drummers for General Miles Gloriosus in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Isn't that primary source material? I have it on DVD...
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
(Playing devil's advocate) Why does it need to be `in step´? It seems clear to me that what Caesar wants to convey is the threat of a formation coming steadily forward, irresistible legions and all. I think "in acie certo gradu legiones accedere" could be translated as "...the legions steadily moving forward in formation"

Always be very careful that you're not reading into the sources what you'd like to read. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Here is what H.J. Edwards in the Loeb translation has:

Quote:When the Gauls (whose plans in all their self-confidence had been reported to Caesar) suddenly saw the legions in their formation advancing upon them in regular step as in line of battle (*), they drew up their force in front of their camp, but - either because they felt the risk of a struggle, or because of the suddenness of our arrival, or because they waited to see our plan - did not move from the higher ground.

* Or perhaps instructas velut in acie should be taken together, "formed as in line of battle." In this case the Gauls mistook the agmen quadratum for acies

It looks like Edwards had a question of interpretation as well.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Sorry, just to make clear I understand you correctly there:

So you (or the translator in this case) say that this could also be interpreted as: the legions were in a marching formation which appeared to the Gauls as if they were already in a battle formation?

Another point would be that my Stowasser also says that "certus" means determined as well.. So could this also be interpreted as "in a determined step"? Don't know if this phrase exists in English but in German we have the equivalent of "entschlossenen Schrittes".
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Quote: So you (or the translator in this case) say that this could also be interpreted as: the legions were in a marching formation which appeared to the Gauls as if they were already in a battle formation?

Yes, I believe so. (Although it is dangerous to interpret the interpreter! :wink: )

I think that Edwards interpreted it as “in step,â€
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
It is a very modern thought that rhythm needs percussion badly.

The aulos was played by the Greeks mostly in the army (IF instruments have been used), which was a double pipe rather then a flute. The also sang and used the salpinx.

The Romans sang, used cornu, bucina and tuba and there are archaeological remains of opitio-staffs with bells inside.

That´s it in the army basically, not drums.
The only drums we can proof for civil use are frame-drums.
Susanna

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.musica-romana.de">www.musica-romana.de

A Lyra is basically an instrument to accompaign pyromanic city destruction.
Always the same with those Romans...they could have saved us so much time if they'd bothered to give a nice description like:

When the Gauls suddenly saw the legions in their formation advancing upon them in regular step to the commands of the centuriones as in line of battle, and the legionaries in their white/red/blue/whatever tunics (*), they drew up their force in front of their camp, ....

(*)note of 3rd century editor Cassius Dio: Caesar's legionaries wore all maille and scale, not like the antesignani(these are troops which...) of the periode after Caesar's death which wore segmentata (the rest continued...blablabla)which was introduced by... in... because of... which is nowadays slowly abandoned because of reason xyz

:lol:
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Quote:and there are archaeological remains of optio-staffs with bells inside.

Any details of these Susanna? (anybody?)
Hi

Just reviving this old thread. I was searching for clothing and textile sources and just as you do came across the following reference in the Loeb edition 1 of Selected Papyri.

It was in a document regarding the sale of a house. Amongst the named witnesses was one "Tlous, drummer of the numerus" P.Lond. 1722. page 89.

Sadly the date of the document was A.D 573 so I guess there will be those out there who will see this as evidence only for drums in the Byzantine army but not the Roman. :roll:

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hi Graham,

well, it is of most interest which word (original Greek) has been used for drum.

In the 6th cent. the words for musical instruments often do not mean
the same than cent. before. So the translation already can
hold a mistake.

Greetz,
Susanna
Susanna

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.musica-romana.de">www.musica-romana.de

A Lyra is basically an instrument to accompaign pyromanic city destruction.
which word (original Greek) has been used for drum.

????????

Hope that helps.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Does that transliterate to tympanas?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The use of the Drum in the Roman Army Anonymous 25 11,682 05-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Anonymous