Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanic belt, 3rd century AD
Salve Martin!

At a loss for words! So I just smacked you yet another laude and gazed in wonderment at the beauty created ..... What are the materials, fine linen outside, gold in between and a leather backing to which the gold was applied? You refer to three layers.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Hi Robert,

glad to hear you like it :-) )

Quote:What are the materials, fine linen outside, gold in between and a leather backing to which the gold was applied? You refer to three layers.

3 layers of leather as in the original. I used veg-tanned sheep for the lower, veg-tanned goat for the middle (that carries the gold leaf) and alum-tanned goat leather for the white upper layer. Stitching with blue linen.
That is really nice work Martin!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Not bad.

:wink:

Superb work, Martin. Laudes.

[size=75:1cfipd1l]Smart arse...[/size]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I think we saw it (or a very similar belt) at our Saturnalia- amazing....
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Hmmmm, so a good time for all, except me.... Sad
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Super, Martin! Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Beautiful work. Laudes for you Big Grin
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
really impressed, Martin Big Grin D
So is the metal work on this belt in silver too? I take it that will be the next steps?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:So is the metal work on this belt in silver too? I take it that will be the next steps?

Yes, silver and gilded silver, for the 3 buckles and their attachment to the belt itself. That will then complete the belt.
Really beautiful, Martin! Big Grin
I have started to think how to adapt something similar to Late Fourth century broad (not so broad) belts with chip-carved fittings! :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:I have started to think how to adapt something similar to Late Fourth century broad (not so broad) belts with chip-carved fittings!

Looking forward to see what comes out of it!
Had time today to start working on the somewhat elaborate rivets/fastenings that attach the leather strips with the buckles to the belt. Here are the pieces, the pressed silver disc (shown in 2 stages of work) is protected by a sort of plate with raised edge (for the silver disc I made a stamp)

[Image: GommernRekon_10.jpg]

The silver plate in the protecting plate. The silver disc still needs to be gilded. The actual rivet (also silver will go in the middle)

[Image: GommernRekon_12.jpg]
Wow! Confusedhock: You'll never cease to impress us...

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Roman Belt Color Antoninus05 9 4,778 02-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Damien Deryckère
  4th Century Roman Belt Primvs Pavlvs 13 3,425 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  Reconstruction of 1st century roman belt. Titus Marius Secundus 21 4,899 06-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Titus Marius Secundus