Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanic belt, 3rd century AD
Since working on shoes only would drive me crazy, I started a reconstruction of a belt from the 3rd century AD, found in the grave of what was most probably a Germanic nobleman. Plus I wanted to try working with gold leaf for some time now anyway :-) )

Still a lot of work left, but here are a few pics of the first steps:

the 3 layers of the belt:

[Image: GommernRekon_01.jpg]

preparing the gilding:

[Image: GommernRekon_02.jpg]

gilded middle layer
[Image: GommernRekon_03.jpg]
before stitching:

[Image: GommernRekon_04.jpg]

stitching on its way:

[Image: GommernRekon_07.jpg]
Martin, your works never cease to amaze me. Based on those tools in the last picture, this must be a very wide belt, too?
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Quote:Based on those tools in the last picture, this must be a very wide belt, too?

Yes, surprisingly so. The belt is about 92 x 23 cms!

I also forgot about the sources:

Gold für die Ewigkeit. Das germanische Fürstengrab von Gommern, Katalog zur Sonderausstellung in Halle 2000

Breuer, Heiko. Die Restaurierung des Gürtels aus dem "Fürstengrab" von Gommern. - Arbeitsblätter für Restauratoren, Gruppe 6, Leder, Mainz, 1993, S. 96-99.

Marzena J. Przybyla. Ein Prachtgürtel aus dem Grab 1 von Wroclaw-Zakrzow (Sakrau) - Ein Rekonstruktionsversuch. - Archäologisches Korrespondenzblatt 35, 2005, Mainz, 105-122.

and personal communication with Dr. Becker, Landesmuseum für Vorgeschichte Halle (Saale)
Awesome! Very nice belt, Martin.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Beautiful, and great craftsmanship as ever. What sort of buckle was found with it?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:What sort of buckle was found with it?

3 relatively simple silver buckles, laid out evenly over the entire width of the belt. I'll post a pic as soon as I get around to ...
Wow, the Gommern belt! I AM impressed! Great work Martin! Confusedhock:
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Smile Your work is always so amazing!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Awesome work Martin! (yet again!)
Impressing work as ever, Martin! Confusedhock:

For those of us who cannot have access to the original publications you quote, could you, please, upload a handful of pics of the original remains?

Were only Germanic items recovered from the tomb or were also some Roman ones? :?
Carol van Driel warned me some years ago about not falling in the trap of believing any beutiful item coming from Germania Libera as being of Roman origin, but I simply cannot help asking... :oops:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:For those of us who cannot have access to the original publications you quote, could you, please, upload a handful of pics of the original remains?

Were only Germanic items recovered from the tomb or were also some Roman ones? :?

It is a mix of Roman imports and Germanic items. Interestingly the silver shield boss was worked from a decorated Roman silver drinking cup, on the inside the original decorative work is still partially visible.

Here is a pic of the belt, it was rolled up when found (the drawing is a bit misleading, the belt consists of 3 layers actually):

[Image: BreuerGommern_p98_detail.jpg]

from Breuer, Heiko. Die Restaurierung des Gürtels aus dem "Fürstengrab" von Gommern. - Arbeitsblätter für Restauratoren, Gruppe 6, Leder, Mainz, 1993, p.98.
Many thanks, Martin! Big Grin
I have rolled my own belt that way many times, either with the buckle outside or with the strap outside, like the Gommern belt was. :lol:
Is that very wide belt stiff enough as to be worn without suffering too much deformation? Confusedhock:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Is that very wide belt stiff enough as to be worn without suffering too much deformation?

Time will have to tell, Aitor :-) ) Of course the 3 layers + the stitching through them all adds a lot to stability as well. I expect it to be stiff enough in the end.
About 100m of yarn and many many stitches later:

[Image: GommernRekon_09.jpg]

Next to do is to make the buckles ...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Roman Belt Color Antoninus05 9 4,780 02-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Damien Deryckère
  4th Century Roman Belt Primvs Pavlvs 13 3,428 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  Reconstruction of 1st century roman belt. Titus Marius Secundus 21 4,900 06-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Titus Marius Secundus