• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with hunting weapon!
When I draw them up Ill PM you with them Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Cesar,

I agree with you about that. I suppose that the idea on both cases is to avoid damaging too much the prey's body. 8)
Waht I cannot understand about the hare-catching spear is why are those barbs directed towards the outer side... :?

Tony,

Many thanks for your great help! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Aitor with the barbs being on the out side, as the barb enters the body it will stretch the skin as it goes through and then when embedded, the flesh closes around the barb and makes it very difficult to remove and inflicting a terrible wound. I have seen this type of spear also used to catch fish.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Oh, now I understand. Idea Many thanks, Tony! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Also, if the point is made by splitting the business end, the barbs on the outside would be easier to make, though you could do it either way.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I've scanned better pics of the weapon, unfortunately, B/W Sad
First, the hunter on foot, already seen:
[Image: arp-1psd.jpg]
Second, another hunter on horse (probably, the way it was used):
[Image: bidentecopia.jpg]
Third, a detail of this last one:
[Image: arp-2.jpg]
I'm afraid that is all the information available...

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Thanks Aitor its a bit more info that will help Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Not much, certainly, but unless a similar artifact is located at a museum, it's all the information we'll ever have! :wink:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Tony,

I've been looking for the Cabriana boar-hunting spear. There were two of them (You saw them when we visited the Burgos Museum years ago). Unfortunately, I've got only a partial pic of the brass wire inlaid one, which is also, incidentally, the one having its both 'ears' or 'wings' missing Sad
[Image: Cabrianacopia.jpg]

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Thats another great pic Big Grin D
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Many thanks to you, Tony Big Grin !
I'll be eagerly waiting for your drawings and, who knows, maybe we'll need a boar-hunting spear too for our hunting display... 8)

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Aitor, is something like this spear of this Villa de Olmeda mosaich, in right -center, the one who is facing the boar? :wink:
The other men are armed with "diamond" shaped spears, and one is fighting a leopard with a sword :!:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Yes, Iagoba,
That winged big spear is always associated on Late Roman mosaics to the boar hunt.
Besides that from La Olmeda, I recall another one from Las Tiendas, near Mérida. There was also a depiction on the Centcelles (Tarragona) dome, but that section is all but lost Sad

A winged spear like those from Cabriana would certainly complete our Late Roman hunting display for Tarragona but it will be next year. Improved deer net-hunting and hare hunting will be enough for this year, I think :wink:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
The boar spear will have to wait a while Sad lol: but we can still sort out its general apperence and size on the research front Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Don't worry, Tony, the spear is a project for next year. In the meantime, I'll try to get more information on the other Cabriana spearhead! 8)

Aitor

Rolf Steiner