Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artillery Database?
Has anyone proposed or considered starting a database of reconstructed artillery, siege engines, and other such items? As part of Legio III CYR's weapons program I've been collecting images and info on as many weapons as I can. I might be helpful if there were one source with similar information available on each piece. Given the wide geographic range of weapons and builders it's doubtful we'll ever be able to see many in one place. (unless I can win the lottery and sponsor a gathering in Bavarian beer country :wink: )
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Randi, that is a fine idea, the database, that is. These things are all over the place, and broken down by type of machine, size, etc, would be pretty cool, and help us bitten with artillary disease.

If we meet once you have your wealth, I suggest the Augsburg area. I miss Hofenbrau. Munich would work too, however.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
I agree this would be a great idea...worth adding to the helmet/pugio databases being worked on for RAT3.

Legion: TBD
Yes, a good idea, indeed Big Grin
Notwithstanding, how to avoid unavoidable remarks on quality/acurateness of reconstructions? :?
Who should be a judge on a field where so-called experts don't agree on what is 'accurate'? Sad

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Yes, a good idea, indeed Big Grin
Notwithstanding, how to avoid unavoidable remarks on quality/acurateness of reconstructions? :?
Who should be a judge on a field where so-called experts don't agree on what is 'accurate'? Sad

Aitor

Call me an optomist, but I think we could settle on categories based upon the basic structure and function of the piece. The only judgements required would be in creating the basic categories (ie. Manuballista, Cheiroballista, Catapulta/Scorpio, Carroballista, Onager, etc). How much trouble could that entail? :wink: Each builder submits the basic data and photos and decides which category they want their engine to be listed under. Using my current project as an example:
Type: Carroballista
Manufactued: In progress/Dudley, MA, USA
Target Date: 100AD
Design: Iron-framed Inswinger
Washer Diameter: 75mm

It would be helpful to include at the header of each category a description of relavent artifacts, iconography, and period references. I'm sure there will be some lively debate generated. That's actually one of the best reasons for doing this. If we confine questions on authenticity and such to the forum as usual, we can have this database as a reference tool and hopefully leave opinion out of it.
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Aitor, you are right in that we would have to be careful about the critical judgements that this subject seems to generate. But I agree with Randi, in that the database itself will be a repository of data, photos, specifications, etc. What discussions are birthed by this database would belong in the forums, not within the database itself.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Further quick thoughts about this database, if I may.

Would it be useful to include relevant technical data, such as materials used (ash, oak, bronze or aluminum washers, etc.), approx. timespan for construction, weight, accuracy, range, etc. What kinds of rope springs does the machine have, etc.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Well, perhaps we could avoid some problems dividing the machines in two categories: Those trying to be archeologiclly accurate and those more speculative. Just an idea... :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Well, perhaps we could avoid some problems dividing the machines in two categories: Those trying to be archeologiclly accurate and those more speculative. Just an idea... :?

Aitor

Part of my reasoning for including the established historical sources at the beginning of each category is so that readers can use that as a standard by which to judge historical fidelity for themselves if they want. It's not a perfect solution, but it is more objective and would hopefully avoid controversy. Let's do as the Romans and save the debates for the forum. :lol:
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:What discussions are birthed by this database would belong in the forums, not within the database itself.
The database could provide a link to the thread discussing each piece. Just like the imagebase currently has.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.