Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Italian Crests
I have noticed most Italian Crests are raised and not on the helmet itself as is the usual greek practice. Is there any specific reason for this? Even during the empire most helmet crests are attatched to a holder keeping it raised over the helmet, such as an imperial-gallic. Is this for some symbolic, cultural, religious, military etc symbolism? Or is it just for the event of having to remove it quickly? Is there any explanation out there?
Dennis Flynn
Y'know, I never thought of that but you're right. Except for maybe the Attic, which I really don't know much about. Could it be for ease of carry? Slinging it from your left shoulder with a fixed seems a lot less doable that with a removable one.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
A removable crest makes for easier storage, to be sure. A crest box is reasonably small, but a crested helmet is hard to pack away for the night so as to protect the crest (especially feathers)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Also the crests were for certain ranks and if you had optional crests systems, you could use any helmet to attach any crest to it. very handy
Patrick Van Calck
Quote:Also the crests were for certain ranks
Not according to Caesar, all of his men seem to have had them, but we don't know for certain what form they took.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Have a look into this threadIt is suggested here that crests may have also been a method of reinforcing the helmet.

Whether this is true or not, it is undoubtable that the crests would have been damaged during battle. Being removable would make them easier to replace, or even repair without being attached to the helmet.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.