Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historic Roman bridge over river saved
Historic Roman bridge over river saved

PART of a huge Roman bridge which would have once spanned the River Tyne has been saved from destruction by a team of archaeologists at Corbridge.
The original bridge would have carried the main Roman road from London to Scotland – the Roman 'Great North Road' - and it is thought that it collapsed due to erosion from the river during the Anglo-Saxon period.

The ruins of the bridge were uncovered when the excavation began three years ago.

Following extensive consultation, it was decided that the only way to protect the remains was to dismantle them and re-assemble them nearby on a site which was safe from erosion.

Paul Bidwell, senior manager with Tyne and Wear Museums' Archaeology, says: "Originally the bridge remains were very difficult to understand and appreciate, and could only be seen by those who know where to look.

"Now, thanks to the hard work of the archaeology department and the help of the volunteers, the re-assembled remains can be seen in all their glory and can be appreciated for years to come."

The work took place on the south bank of the river, where an enormous causeway would have carried the Roman road known as Dere Street, from the flood plain of the Tyne onto the bridge, at a height of 8m above the river.

Overlying part of the Roman causeway were the remains of a feature which came as a surprise discovery.

It appeared to be part of a stone lining which ran along the river bank in the nineteenth century.

Other stretches of similar stones were found further upstream, where they collapsed into the river.

Evidence of the spectacular scale and decoration of the bridge slowly began emerge, as the archaeologists discovered architectural fragments with decorative mouldings.

The re-assembled remains are on the southern bank of the river, on land which is accessible at all times.

There is a large car-park at the southern end of the present bridge over the Tyne at Corbridge.

A gate from the car-park leads to the riverside.

The new display is five minutes' walk up-stream.

Link : http://www.newspostleader.co.uk/latest/ ... 3722196.jp
Patrick Van Calck
That is interesting! Will swing by on my way south and see!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Pictures please then!
ALA I BATAVORUM
There seems to be a picture in the link but for some reason my computer will not open it...
I didn't see it myself either. But I recall seeing the road leading away over the hill across the river from Corbridge!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I couldn't open the picture as well but you lucky guys can go there by the weekend and make a few!
Patrick Van Calck
I do think it should be mentioned, that this particular bridge was not the one that carried the Dere Street over the river Tyne. The late Ramond Selkirk of the Northen Archaeology Group proved this, when he carried out excavations at Bywell some six miles east of Corbridge. In his book 'On The Trail Of The Legions', he clearly proved that the Roman Dere Street continued straight from Ebchester bypassing Corbridge at Bywell. Indeed he also proved that the Staingate Roman Road continues eastward, beyond Corbridge. Infact part of his excavation was on the crossing point of these two very important roads. When we follow the line of his Proto Dere Street from Bywell, we discover just why the Fort of Onnum is where it is one Roman mile east of where the Modern A68 crosses Harians' Wall.
Brian Stobbs
I seem to recall you telling me this! Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That is very correct Byron. Infact the book 'On The Trail Of The Legions' is a must for anyone who wishes to understand the Romans in the North of England.
Brian Stobbs
There has also been excavation work carried out on the other side of the river, please let us hope that the ancient oak tree that was put there by the Romans has not been removed from the water. It truly makes one wonder just what archaeologists are up to, the stone work that has now been removed from the river is now subject to the harsh winter ellements. This so called stone work rescue is an absoloute nonsence, it has lasted in the river bank now for two thousand years. It does make one wonder just how long will it last now. This is where we must ask just what the devil was Bidwell thinking of.
Brian Stobbs
PhilusEstilius\\n[quote]I do think it should be mentioned, that this particular bridge was not the one that carried the Dere Street over the river Tyne.

What was the purpose of the Corbridge structure if the Bywell bridge carried Dere Street?? Surely it is not credible that two significant structures of this type lay so close to one another ? Is there any physical evidence for the existence of the Bywell bridge?

Romanonick/Nick Deacon
Romanonick/Nick Deacon
I have to say I agree with Brian, Selkirk's book is very good. I never met the gentleman, but he seems to have used a common sense approach to studying the Romans in the North East.
John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
If one takes an ordinence survey map of the area, and follow a line from Ebchester to Buklaey above Hadrians' Wall. The line goes through Bywell, then there is the evidence of bridge peers still intact in the river there in the mid 19th century. These were blown up with gun powder the day before work was started on the bridge which stands at Bywell today. Infact just a couple of hundred yards up stream from where the Roman bridge stood, there is still today a Roman Dam with its pound lock and sluise gate. It still as yet comes almost half way out into the river, the pound lock still even has the slots in the stone work for its wooden gates.
Brian Stobbs
In the book by Bidwell & Holbrooke, 'Bridges of The River Tyne' both of these archaeologists slated Ramond Selkirks' finding of this Roman Dam, they claimed it to be a Medieval fish trap. It becomes a bit foolish to imagine a fish trap that went completely across a river with hundreds of tonnes of stone in it. Indeed there is an ancient fish trap near Corbridge this is made as all fish traps were, with wood posts that begin at the centre of the river and lead in towards the bank. The Roman Dam mentioned still yet has a few hundred tonnes of stone in it, it stands at around 7 to 8 feet high today.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Information Needed: Roman Scabbard, Arles France in the Rhone River 1st Century ad Pointer 1 628 02-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Last Post: chaf69
  Possible Roman brothel token found in River Thames ParthianBow 5 2,395 01-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  A new roman ship has been found in the Rhone river Luca 1 1,552 08-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Casmin