Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tribulus
I first learned of this neat little weapon watching a History Channel documetnary about the siege of Alesia, and have since collected enough photos of originals to see just how they're made; and today I gave it a go- here's my result:

[Image: PDR_0173.jpg]

A very simple but elegant design- split a short iron bar down both ends, separate the arms to form an 'X', lengthen and pont the arms, then bend one pair of opposite arms (across the X) up, and one pair down, adjusting the angle until you get a tetrahedron.

Not something I'd want to accidently step on...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Nice...
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Aren't those also called caltrops?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well that's a later term, yes
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Horses and elephants didn't like them. Neither did footsoldiers. No matter how ya toss 'em, they're a pain in the foot.

I've thought about making a couple in times past for a tabletop display item/paperweight. I figured just to take two rods, cross them and forge weld them in the middle, then bend them. Ends up the same way. Don't know which would be quicker. You can be sure that whichever was the easier for the smith is how it was done.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I saw one, I think in Edinburgh museum. I was surprised at how small they were!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Very nice! How small is it, btw?

Now wrap a plumbata around it to get a plumbata et tribulata. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes Vortigern I was going to do that but still wondering how to do it :? D cry:
[Image: P2040684.jpg]
[Image: P2040685.jpg]
This is what I carry it in I have stabbed myself enough on it :lol: :lol:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I would think the size varied quite a lot depending on whether the tribulus was meant for infantry, cavalry or whatever. One picture I have shows tribuli varying in size by a factor of maybe as much as 40-50%. The one I chose is probably among the larger (ones made to protect from elephants, if such were ever made, notwithstanding). That's the one from Alesia. I had wondered about forge welding, but it seemed rather more difficult a method than this simple splitting, and bending of a single piece. It's interesting to hear that it was done as well.
You certainly wouldn't want to sit on one..... Confusedhock: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I would presume a small billet was split on a hot chisel, matter of minutes, then bent out to approx the correct shape and the ends hammered to a point. As they all point outwards, this is something you can do for each point in a single heat. Forge welding is a more difficult trick to master, but any apprentice smith could churn these out at an alarming rate with just very basic skills. Just the way Matt made his. Cool job, Matt, looks very believable!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Ouch! Have thrown these whilst playing a Ninja on the PS2. Who says gaming isn't educational Big Grin

Quote:You certainly wouldn't want to sit on one.....

Well that's what you get for sitting down during a battle :wink:
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:Ouch! Have thrown these whilst playing a Ninja on the PS2. Who says gaming isn't educational Big Grin

Quote:You certainly wouldn't want to sit on one.....

Well that's what you get for sitting down during a battle :wink:

Oooow, et tu Libitina, :o roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
LOL

And exactly what I figured Robert- I'm hardly a master smith and I made one :wink: - and ease of construction is important to an army in the field since a fair number would be necessary to provide good area denial or at least hold up an attack in force. It's not hard to imagine during the circumvellation of Alesia, how many tens or hundreds of thousands of these things that must have been made...

I was surprised too to read about how old a weapon it is- apparently they date back to the 3rd century BCE...
Wouldn't be surprised if the idea dates back to the stone age....
scatter sharp flint shards around the cave entrance to disuade intruders,
of 2 and 4 legged variety...? :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel