Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Date of the Chatsworth Relief?
Can someone tell me the date of the Chatsworth Relief (Hadrianic/Trajanic?), showing the soldiers working in tunics?

I just noticed:
A - They don't have baldrics holding up their gladii.
B - They do have straps going from over the left shoulder, under the right armpit, and back up to their left shoulder to gather in their tunics on the right side.

If they're 2nd-C (very short aprons, or they're wrapped around the belt to keep them out of the way) then it looks a viable option to hang your gladius from your belt. Have these straps been assumed to be sword baldrics? I'm looking at them and they're most definitely not.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi Jim
Have another look at the colour Plates of Roman Military Clothing 1 :wink:
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Graham, you must get really sick to death of prompting people to your books. Can you imagine how much worse it's gonna be when the next three are out? Big Grin

Thanks. :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
In this case Jim I knew you already had the book! :wink: Plus didn't you work on a reconstruction?

The scene is Hadrianic. The straps were first brought to my attention in the Fuentes article he suggested they were to stop the blousing of the material above the gladius which would appear to be tied to the belt via the suspension rings.

The only alternative suggestion for what they are, is that they are carrying straps belonging to the large document cases some of the men carry on their shoulders. However it is also worn by another man seen from the back who has no case.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:The only alternative suggestion for what they are, is that they are carrying straps belonging to the large document cases some of the men carry on their shoulders. However it is also worn by another man seen from the back who has no case.
That crossed my mind as well, but I also saw the one without.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!