Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The first finnish made Scorpio- Complete!
Finally, after eight moths of back-breaking work, my little 48,1 kilogram heavy Scorpio is almost ready; it is only missing one Bracchium(is this the correct way to write it?) and a metal strut to hold the frame in place when firing! Just a week more...

I would also say that this was a tremendous effort of me- I'm only 18 and have to deal with a lot less money than most ballista builders.

Do any of you experts here see any critical errors or structural flaws in these pictures?
Juuso Laasonen
More pictures:
Juuso Laasonen
Quote:Do any of you experts here see any critical errors or structural flaws in these pictures?
Well, I'm not an expert, nor even an intermediate. However, I do notice that you seem to be missing sinew bundles and swinger arms :lol:

Looks great. I'd love to do one myself, but so many other projects that take so much time.....
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Oh yes, I'll have to insert those as well. I really wondered why it didn't fire anything... really the other arm is not yet ready, so that's why they're not in place yet. :!:
Juuso Laasonen
Nice work young man, great effort! Have an 'L' on me!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hyvä Juuso Confusedhock: !

Koska pidetään ammuntakilpailut, taitaisi mun 110-paunainen näyttää ihan lelulta vertailussa :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Arrg. I need to make one too.

But really nice job! Well done!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Singin´

Everybody ought to have a Scorpio,
Everybody ought to have a working siege machine,
Everybody ought to have a outswinginging one,
To make you putter around the garage.

Great! Big Grin
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
:lol:

Well done! I wish I had the knowledge to make that ... and a garage to build it in.

Laud!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Excellent work!

Legion: TBD
Well done, Juuso! Puts the rest of us to shame, who do have knowlegde and a garage! Laudes for you.

I'm not knowldgeable on ballistae, but I know a thing or two about woodworking. Only issue I can see is how you joined the stand to the ballista's post. Is it strong enough to withstand the recoil? I'm not criticising, but I wondered how much those things kick. Good job! Fit and finish look excellent. What tools and wood did you use?
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Excellent work Big Grin D D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I have stumbled on the same issue of the firing slit being very narrow- I took the model of the slit from Alan Wilkins' scorpio. It isn't that much of a problem, because the bolt is very long, and thus it is unlikely to get stuck or jump off the slider. On the recoil I'd say that it isn't very strong and affects the stand only marginally, at least according to my experiences with my other scorpio... this one has a lot more power though- but it weight over twice as much, so that will also absorb the shock. I used birchwood- I know that ash would be the proper choice, but that's all I could afford. All kinds of tools were used starting from lathes and saws and, well, the lot. I think I'm going to make steel(2mm) underwashers for the modioli to prevent the wood from wearing. Is this a good idea? I might also be able to get hold of some fine bronze bearings and turn them into modioli to improve the machine's looks and authenticity. I will post more photos when it will be completed. Tongue

p.s. The colour was inspired b the ESGConfused scorpio(I saw it on their web page).
Juuso Laasonen
Very well done!!! Confusedhock:
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
Verdammt gute Arbeit=Really great work Big Grin
Here a picture from our Scorpio, maybe you are interested.
www.vindeliker-kohorte.de/veranstaltungen07/grkr/10.jpg
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  All finnish RAT members! Virilis 13 2,752 04-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Virilis