Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montefortino T reinforcement
How easy is it to dent a helmet at this point ?

Surely part of the design of a Monty is that it deflects blows so you would want the least amount of obstruction on it. As said above adding a chunk of metal would assist a blow in adding a bit of leverage?

Are we sure that these have Roman provenance ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:Are we sure that these have Roman provenance ?
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 885#177885

Quote:Although the helmets in question are not from a documented Roman context, Junkelmann states that at least one helmet with a Roman inscription also was found with an iron ring around the knob.

I am not at all an expert in Italian helmets but this type of helmet adornment seems to me to be different from the transverse feather crests found on other Italian helmets.

Good enough for me.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Conal:v2fhrlg7 Wrote:Are we sure that these have Roman provenance ?
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 885#177885

Quote:Although the helmets in question are not from a documented Roman context, Junkelmann states that at least one helmet with a Roman inscription also was found with an iron ring around the knob.

I am not at all an expert in Italian helmets but this type of helmet adornment seems to me to be different from the transverse feather crests found on other Italian helmets.

Good enough for me.

Not me. One man with a helmet taken from a Samnite, and personalised, doth not a Roman fashion make :wink:
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:Not me. One man with a helmet taken from a Samnite, and personalised, doth not a Roman fashion make :wink:
Are we to believe that every item with a Republican Roman inscription is spolia from an enemy?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Are we to believe that every item with a Republican Roman inscription is spolia from an enemy?

Nope. But with something as ubiquitous as the Montifortino all possibilities need consideration when not found in a Roman context.
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:Could the raised antennae actually stop a side swipe reaching the bowl completely, which could be beneficial regardless of your head being knocked sideways. Let's face it, a blow would have knocked your head sideways anyway, but your helmet could be compromised.

I just had a thought, or I guess an 'image' of another purpose of these V-shaped antennae and attachments

it's possible these were to help deflect spearpoints from being thrust at the face?

I'm thinking of the vase illustrations showing the spears held above the shoulder and presumably a 'downwards' thrusting motion onto the head, neck, shoulder of the opponent.

if the point hits the bottom of the V, the two arms would 'push' the point up and off of the head
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
That too, it is a guard after all, at least to my mind.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:if the point hits the bottom of the V, the two arms would 'push' the point up and off of the head

Without going into the argument you are making, I would like to suggest that the bracket had three, not two "arms." I believe the remnant of the central one still can be discerned.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Wow, awesome Jef. Those arethe first photos I've seen of this helmet!
And yes I agree, about the three arms, I got that impression from the drawing too!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel