Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Studies in Ancient Greek Topography, Part I
Does anyone own Pritchett's book "Studies in Ancient Greek Topography, Part I" ?
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Hey Paul, good to see you! (I'm answering my own post)

I am going to recieve this book, so if any are interested in what's in it, let me know.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Sorry Paul, somehow I missed seeing this thread. I'm not sure what you might want with Pritchett's work, but to answer your question, I used to own it. By way of a review, I found it somewhat dated and eventually sold it after I continually found newer and better topographical research in journal articles on the various battles I was researching. Let me know if I can help you out with anything else as far as topographic reference material goes.
Joseph Pietrykowski
Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant
Thanks, I am specifically looking for the section on the battle of Sellasia. Pritchett reviews the arguement for moving the spartan left flank North and most of the original papers are by German authors and innaccessable to me. If my university library comes through for me, I should be recieving it on loan- assuming they give me the correct volume!
Paul M. Bardunias
Well my motto is: When all else fails, stick with the sources. Plutarch's vagueness can make him pretty tough to work with at times, but Polybios is typically dependable.

There are good treatments of Sellasia in Walbank's commentary on Polybios as well as Tarn's chapter in the CAH (though having now reached its 80th birthday, this commentary is a bit dated.) Have you by chance read Morgan's article, Sellasia Revisited, in the American Journal of Archaeology?
Joseph Pietrykowski
Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant
Quote:Have you by chance read Morgan's article, Sellasia Revisited, in the American Journal of Archaeology?

Yes, thank you. It is his paper that I am tracing the sources back from. I have a paper by Jochmus from the mid 19th century as well. Morgan refers to Pritchett's arguement for moving the spartan left-flank North, but does not elaborate because he is interested solely on the right flank.

Morgan was partially correct in his assessment, but he has placed Cleomenes on the wrong hill in my opinion. His map, from Kromayer, is terrible and so a bit confusing, but if we accept the northern movement of the left flank, then he has to move the righ north as well.

There is an article coming in the next issue of AW on Sellasia which solved this problem by moving the spartan left flank back down south, and may be correct. I'm exploring the both flanks north option. I don't want to get too deep into this on RAT out of courtesy to the forthcoming article, but if you email me (I don't see your address) I can send you some interesting details.
Paul M. Bardunias

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Articles availbe from Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies SMC 1 1,219 09-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Ioannes_Ahenobarbus
  Journal of Ancient Military Studies Praefectusclassis 3 1,208 12-07-2004, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis