Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roma Serrectum: Impact on Graphics Card
I have just started RS. So far so good and I love the galleys!! However, when it came to fighting battles I was somewhat taken aback. I have been playing RTR 6.0 for the last few months and my reasonably fast graphics card had no problems, (nor does it encounter issues with other strategy games.) With RS this was not the case.

It may well be that the units are graphically bigger, not the 60's of RTR but 200's and indeed they look much better for it too, but the movement was really jerky, even with the mouse. I went into video options and set everything to 'off' or low as possible. This seems to have sorted matters but it is not quite as sweet as RTR 6.0. the downside is the graphics are not as they could be.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a recommended spec for cards running RS?

Any feedback welcomed
Guido?
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston

[size=100:2nyk19du]The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. [/size]
Thucydides (471 BC - 400 BC)
Quintus,

I have 1GB of RAM on my desktop, which seems to run it fine. No graphics card at all, sadly. I have the terrain settings on medium, the unit graphics at high, and the building graphics on lowest. Turning off Anti-Aliasing seems to do wonders. I just recovered my PC from a massive memory leak that EB seems to have instilled, and caused all my major processes to run at 200k kb of memory larger than normal.

With RS, however, if you have a 512MB memory card it should run fine-1GB even better. If you get FRAPS, a freeware game picture capture program, it will give you the FPS (Frames per second) your game is running at. I'd recommend it, if the battles are running at less than 5 FPS you may want to lower it all to lowest and see what the difference is. I usually run at 15 FPS in battle and 25 in campaign.
"Marcus Hortensius Castus"
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III
Thanks Marcus. I too have 1 Gig of memory soptry some of the tweaks and hunt down the freeware. I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Sertorius
(Guido!)
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston

[size=100:2nyk19du]The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. [/size]
Hi Marcus! I set everything to 'low', lefty anti-aliasing at that level and moved everything else slowly upwards. All is good!

FRAPS is a neat pacakage - thanks for the tip off! Must rush - Barbarians at the gate.
Cheers
Sertorius
(Guido Aston)
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston

Salve! That's great news, have fun with it!
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III
Part of the problem with RS is the lack of sprites on some units but this has now been fixed. Also some of the newer units have no lower level of detail models as yet. This we'll hopefully get a chance to fix.
Tony
Modeller and skinner for Roma Surrectum, a mod for Rome Total War
tone, I don't see your real name in your signature. Please rectify that, it's a forum rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Horton, not that I am likely to travel to US for a history camp, but when I follow the link through to the My Space page, the writing is obscured but the Hoplite graphic behind it! So there is even less chance of persuading me.Smile

Must go, just wrapping up the Carthos - Cato was right.
Quintus
(Guy Aston)
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston

Ah yes I'm afraid that idea died when the interested parties pulled out, and so I was left with a 20 minute myspace site and no funds. One can not put kits together on excitement or fervor alone... Sad oops:
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperium: Rise of Rome, Graphics card poll StrategyM 3 2,282 02-25-2002, 01:35 PM
Last Post: StrategyM