Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is this book good or not?
Rome's greatest defeat by Adrian Murdock isbn 0-7509-4015-8

I found this book on the internet but I'm not sure if it's interesting or correct. On the internet I found a german site which claims that the Battle of Teuroburger wasn't near 'kalkriese' but some miles further east.
Because I don't want to read a book that's based on a wrong location, I thought to put the question to you.
Is this book correct enough a totally wrong?
Patrick Van Calck
Yes, it is a good book. My review is here. It is a lot better than, for instance, Peter Wells, The Battle That Stopped Rome (2003).
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I actually like both books, Wells because it was my first introductio to the subject! Smile Although I would disagree with your interpretation of Varus' 'misinterpretation of the intelligence he was given. He just blindly ignored information that was put in his lap from the sounds of things.....but then what do i know!

Have you also done a review of Wells book? I would find it interesting to compare the inaccuracies of both books.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thank you very much
I'll order it on the spot !!
Patrick Van Calck

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good book on the Sucession Wars Timotheus 10 3,312 05-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Timotheus
  Good Roman engineering book? richsc 2 1,919 03-19-2003, 01:35 AM
Last Post: Anonymous