Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find may shed light on Roman era
Find may shed light on Roman era

A team of archaeologists from the University of Exeter has found a Roman fort dating from the 1st Century AD in fields in Cornwall.
Several items of pottery have been excavated and a furnace which may have been used to smelt minerals.

Researchers said the find at Calstock, close to a silver mine, could show for the first time the Romans' interest in exploiting Cornish minerals.

Very little is known so far about the Roman occupation in Cornwall.

'Medieval documents '

The discovery could therefore mark an important step in piecing together this period of history.

Archaeologists became interested in the site when they found references in medieval documents to the smelting of silver "at the old castle" and "next to the church" in Calstock.

The team conducted a geophysical survey, which clearly showed the outline of a feature of a similar shape to another Roman fort recently found near Lostwithiel.

They started digging and found the shape of a Roman military ditch.

University of Exeter archaeologist Dr Stephen Rippon said: "The Roman army only stayed in the South West for a few decades after the Conquest, before moving on to Wales.

"This find could help us to understand whether they were merely keeping watch over the locals, or were actually interested in exploiting commercial opportunities in the region."

The two other known sites of Roman forts in Cornwall are also in the south east of the county.

One was discovered last year near Restormel Castle, Lostwithiel, and the other is at Nanstallon, near Bodmin.

Both sites are close to mineral deposits in areas associated with tin mining.

Link : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 217173.stm
Patrick Van Calck
Crikey, for one short moment I missread the title of the thread as 'Shed of light of Roman era found'. :lol: I had this brief vision of a lonely old hut on a remote moor, exuding bright sunbeams from cracks in its structure. I must get off this healthy food, which is clearly doing me no good at all, and go back to the junk!

Seriously, though, Patrick, thankyou.
Lochinvar/Ewan Carmichael
Well they found 17t century air in a wreck but not yet light.
pay a visit to mcdonalds once a week. You'll be feeling a lot better soon !
Patrick Van Calck
:lol: Patrick, can you fax or e-mail me one of those wonderful Belgian beers, some moules and some frites, please. That should do nicely!!!
Lochinvar/Ewan Carmichael
Ewan you've gone mad. I'm sending out the men in white coats for you :lol:

Thanks for posting that Patrick. It's always extra nice when I actually know the area.
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
wish I could ! They 're lovely ! Mmmmmh
Patrick Van Calck
Quote:Ewan you've gone mad. I'm sending out the men in white coats for you :lol:

Thanks for posting that Patrick. It's always extra nice when I actually know the area.

You don't know how lucky you are !
Patrick Van Calck
Quote:
Libitina:4vqa1i0v Wrote:Ewan you've gone mad. I'm sending out the men in white coats for you :lol:

You don't know how lucky you are !

Yeah I know. Can't turn the corner round here without tripping over a Roman fort or neolithic barrow! :lol:
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Has anybody noticed the remarkable Google Earth photo of Calstock? :wink: :roll:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
It's a cover up! Literally!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
no, no. That's just a square cloud. quite a coïncident
Patrick Van Calck
It´s a conspiracy :twisted:
They want to hide the 3000X3000 ft. roman camp found :lol:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Definately a conspiracy! Confusedhock:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
quite normal for a modern military camp. Those rotten pila can be very nasty
Patrick Van Calck

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman sources of light SAJID 2 1,149 11-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Crispianus