Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicken fibula/brooches?
How common would a chicken "yes chicken!" brooch would have been for a 1st century Legionary? Is this more of a civilian item or just plain to rare to really use for reenacting? Thanks
Sean Marcum

Roma Victrix! 
Do you have a pic of the original?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
No picture, I was just curious more than anything. Oh wait I take that back, here is one.-

http://www.quietpress.com/Roman_Brooche ... lt_Fi.html
Scroll to near the bottom. Ah Google is great!
Sean Marcum

Roma Victrix! 
This is a civilian fibula. I´m not sure about this special case, but it´s rather 3rd century I´d say.
Christian K.

According to Ortisi, these zoomorphic fibulas already start to turn up in the middle of the second century.
Folkert Tiarks
He´s very probably right.
This what you mean?:
Frühgeschichtliche und Provinzialrömische Archäologie. Materialien und Forschungen, Band 6: Römische Kleinfunde aus Burghöfe 2. Salvatore Ortisi, Früh- und mittelkaiserzeitliche Fibeln und Philipp M. Pröttel, Spätrömische Metallfunde, Rahden, 2002.

Volker / searcher you must put your real name into your signature in this forum, just as Robert has told you in the introduction section. please modify your profile accordingly.
Christian K.

That's exactly the book I meant. With regard to my signature, I several tried to update it but obviously it don't work.
Folkert Tiarks
Marcvs,

Please be aware that these are very small. I bought two for my wife, and the casting is pretty rough.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
searcher, it worked now. Your signature´s just fine now.
Christian K.

Quote:Marcvs,

Please be aware that these are very small. I bought two for my wife, and the casting is pretty rough.

Thanks for the info on the product. Now does anyone know where I could find a good fairly well made animal/bird brooch? Something that would work for the 1st Century? I'd like a chicken, more because, well how often do you see chicken brooches on a Legionary!
Sean Marcum

Roma Victrix! 
Quote:Now does anyone know where I could find a good fairly well made animal/bird brooch? Something that would work for the 1st Century?
Nowhere. These just didn´t exist at that time.
H. Ratsdorf has two fibulae with animals from the 1st century:
[Image: nr269_norm.jpg]
upper right:
[Image: nr103.jpg]

That´s about it.
This is Roman provincial attire, however, not "City-Roman"(Stadtrömisch), so these fibulae require a provincial Roman dress, then, probably together with other fibulae like a Noric-Pannonic Women´s dress or a Raetian or east-central gaulish.
Christian K.