Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phalerae
I posted this on the other section for reenactment. However, I should have posted this here since I am not doing the reconstruction of the Lauresfort Phalerae. I was just curious of the relief dimensions.

Does anyone know or has it been measured on average how high is the relief of the images on the Lauersfort Phalerae?

Specifically, what is the relief height on Jupiter Ammond, Medusa, the Lion, and the double Sphinx.

Most reproductions that I have seen are quite shallow.

I have seen the best reproduction by Brian Stobbs who is excellent at repousse and captures the images nearly in the exact detail and artestry of the originals however, they are too shallow.

I have seen Dan Petersons and although they are most excellent in detail, they are too high.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
The Lauersfort phalerae are reasonably high in relief. I have seen a good reproduction by Erik Konig at Aurificina Treverica www.replik-online.de but again a bit shallow.

Here's the originals..

[Image: lauersfort.jpg]
Thanks for the reply and the pics.

Peroni, would you happen to have a side view so that I could estimate an approximate height.

I am trying to do a reconstruction of other phalerae based on tombstones and I would not like them to be shallow.

I was thinking of reproducing my set along the lines of 1.27 cm to
1.90 cm high for the face reliefs. I am not sure if this is still too shallow or not.

Of course, outside the Lauresfort set, there is no other surviving set and thus other phalerae sets used during the Roman period might have varying relief heights. I would think that not all phalerae had the same relief height. However, given the lack of evidence, I would like to use what we have as an approximation of style, color, and detail.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
There is another set of phalerae from Newstead.

The write-up of them is available online at:[url:1qbx1fqm]http://www.curlesnewstead.org.uk/platexxxi.htm[/url]. Click Previous page to view their description. They aren't elaborate or carved like the Lauersfort ones.
Michael Griffin
High School Teacher who knows Latin & Greek
felicior quam sus in stercu
Michael, I saw then on sunday, and they are only backing plates with the owners names inscribed on them, not the actual phalerae!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I would not consider these names on these back plates as being the owners at all.They may well be the craftsmen who created these phalerae,indeed when we see the Lauersfort there is yet a second name on one piece in punctim which may be the owner. This very same name is on the silvered dish that was found with the Lauersfort. When it comes to the Trimontium plates there were no pictures, hence no second name for this set.It may well be that when the plates were thrown into the pit, the silver pictures would have been removed. For objects buried in pits at forts shows a scorched earth policy, as may have been the case at Trimontium when the 9th cohort of Batavians moved south to Vindolanda. This move south came about with the major move of Roman troops in 98AD.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:I would not consider these names on these back plates as being the owners at all. troops in 98AD.

or the makers names.....but still not actual phalerae!

Glad to see you Brian, hope all is well with you.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi Byron. All is well at this time, trying to take an active part in things, thanks for notice.
Brian Stobbs