Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman military blacksmith
I've tapped a few times with those. They take much more concentration than the more balanced kind. Maybe that's a key observation. These guys were really into the work, not just casually committed.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Exact, is very similar at Japanese hammer , I work at the forge and a similar hammer is useful, especially for forging knife blades.
My opinion is that the Romans already knew similar shape of hammer.
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Well, heres a casting from a Roman mould found at Corbridge (painting by me) depicting Vulcan, but based (I'd bet) on the military blacksmith...
[Image: CIMG1470-1.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Excellent work Caballo!!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
On the site of legxv there is this reproduction of a roman field anvil maybe they can help
http://www.legio-xv-primigenia.de/index ... 5&Itemid=6
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
The anvil depicted is used in the field to knock the nicks out of a scythe falx foenaria (used to cut grass and grain) The shape of this type of field anvil has been used untill last century. The cross is used to prevent the anvil from sinking into the soil when used. A special hammer, with a sloped top surface and very narrow edge on both sides, was used. It would not have been used by a blacksmith, the scythe was hammered cold. A anvil for similar use was discovered in the Woerden 7, a Roman barge discovered in the Netherlands. I have a picture of it somewhere, as I may do a reproduction of it one of these days. I can explain it better in Dutch, but am afraid you will have to make do with this post :-) )
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
[Image: DSCF0181-1.jpg]
An original field anvil, from the Edinburgh Museum, a scythe blade in the background.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Very nice! It's the first time I've seen an anvil with a "stopper" cross, but entirely understandable given the conditions in which it is typically used. As well as explaining the extremely long tapered base.
[Image: dirttagline.jpg]
Gobae - The Blacksmith
aka Dan Crowther
Ancient Celtic Clans
Re: Living History Blog