Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3th century valetudinarium found in Oudenburg
Hi,

In Oudenburg (Flanders, Belgium) a valetudinarium (military hospital) was found within the compound of the third century camp located there. According to the archaeologists it's the first valetudinarium ever found in Gallia.

In Oudenburg the remains are being dug up of a military camp with five distinct building periods (three wooden camps and then two stone camps). It became a part of the Litus Saxonicum defense line in the fourth century AD.

More info here. Sorry, only in Dutch.

Greets Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Most cool! Thanks Hans.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thanks for the link.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I heard, its great news, I'm working on a PhD on Roman Militairy Medicine and Military Hospitals. This hospital from Oudenburg is indeed the first in Gallia and one of the youngest ever found (3th Century) and number 53 on my list of military hospitals.

Maarten
Maarten Dolmans

Marcus Claudius Asclepiades

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.
CLASSIS AUGUSTA GERMANICA

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.paxromana.nl">www.paxromana.nl
53 in the Roman Empire? Surely there were more?

When you call this a camp. do you mean fortress? But then I suppose the 'camps' built during seiges of stone were still just camps.
Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
a question is never stupid, an anwere can be.

There must have been many more, but unfortunately, not yet found or recognized. I know of 14 in auxilia castella, almost all along Hadrians Wall , all other come from legionary castra.

Maarten
Maarten Dolmans

Marcus Claudius Asclepiades

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.
CLASSIS AUGUSTA GERMANICA

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.paxromana.nl">www.paxromana.nl