Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
phalera
Hi all,<br>
last week i found this interesting forum on the internet.<br>
A lot of interesting information, i hope to learn a lot more on this forum.<br>
<br>
I would like a ask a question: I'm looking for a picture of a Phalera, given for a brave action in a battle. Is there one site known on the internet with a few pictures?<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Sorry cant help on the net but if you can find Michel Feugere's book "Weapons of the Romans" there are some really nice photos in there. <p></p><i></i>
Thanks JH,<br>
reason for my question is this phalera i found on a Belgian forum:<br>
<br>
213.221.106.91/forum/show...did=151277<br>
<br>
They say that it is an Roman phalera, but i have my doubts,<br>
this medusahead phalera is looking way to friendly and it has al style that looks "Renaissance" period to me,<br>
what's your opinion? <p></p><i></i>
It looks remarkably similar to a phalerae from Lauersfort now in the Zentralmuseum, Mainz. (so much so that i would not be supprised if it is a poor copy) does anybody know what metal its made of? i belive most phalera were silver or other precious metal. so the jury is still out on its authenticity. <p></p><i></i>
This one is made of bronze and it had some remains of silver (maybe it was silver coated). The diameter is 9 cm and its not a massif piece.... <p></p><i></i>
After further reading i discovered that phalera were also made of bronze as well as other precious metals, mabye a way to signify the relative "value" of the phalera. as far as the design as i said above very similar to others found. so based on this little evidence their is nothing to indicate that it isnt authentic.<br>
<br>
Check out some reconstructions of the lauersfort Phalera here<br>
<br>
www.sol-invictus.org.uk/officer.htm<br>
<br>
hope this helps<br>
<br>
Jason. <p></p><i></i>
It sure helps, great picture's<br>
thanx again Jason. <p></p><i></i>