Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Members.........
In Spain we have got even non-politically-correct saints: :twisted:

[Image: villanofar_santiago.jpg]

Santiago matamoros (St. James the "Moorkiller")
Gess when and who prayed him... :roll:

BTW, military reenactment seems to be also non PC :?
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:In Spain we have got even non-politically-correct saints: :twisted:

[Image: villanofar_santiago.jpg]

Santiago matamoros (St. James the "Moorkiller")
Gess when and who prayed him... :roll:

BTW, military reenactment seems to be also non PC :?

A bit like wargaming and studying military history?
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
I am seriously worried that someday this will boil over, and lead to more extremist activities on the natives part.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:I am seriously worried that someday this will boil over, and lead to more extremist activities on the natives part.

Serious point, and I agree. If the hype makes me angry (and I like to think I'm a nice, fairly moral person) then what will it do to the more moronic type of people?
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
This has been a brewing topic for many years. I have had many heated debates with people over the years. But there is a bit too much PC BS
which can just as easily be interpreted as reverse racisim......
A scary road.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have had a odd feeling for a long time now that in the future there will be a backlash of extreme rightwing activity in Europe. I think people will get fed up with being forced to change their culture to accomodate other cultures, and views. I hope that I am wrong, but I have seen many of my friends in Europe go from middle of the road to very xenophobic in just a couple of years. Anyway I don't want this to go political :oops:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
No I understand entirely what you mean Primus, but sadly, it is not a 'new' thing, but has been an undercurrent for many years!
I have lived all over the world, so I feel I have a fairly open minded outlook on life and foreign cultures. But there 'is' a resentment of the way the double standards of PC attitudes force many people to be ashamed of their own culture, and having to put up with the emasculation of their way of life to accomodate foriegn values.

Some ROTC cadets, or what ever the equivelent is here in Aberdeen were walking past a local mosque and were attacked and insulted by some boys for wearing their uniforms. The University decided it was better to ban the students from wearing their uniforms anywhere near the mosque,
so tell me that is not PC going OTT?

And if you want to call me racist, take a good look at yourself, I have a good enough mix of nationality in my blood to know where that comes from

to whom it may concern..... :evil: :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:No I understand entirely what you mean Primus, but sadly, it is not a 'new' thing, but has been an undercurrent for many years!
I have lived all over the world, so I feel I have a fairly open minded outlook on life and foreign cultures. But there 'is' a resentment of the way the double standards of PC attitudes force many people to be ashamed of their own culture, and having to put up with the emasculation of their way of life to accomodate foriegn values.

Some ROTC cadets, or what ever the equivelent is here in Aberdeen were walking past a local mosque and were attacked and insulted by some boys for wearing their uniforms. The University decided it was better to ban the students from wearing their uniforms anywhere near the mosque,
so tell me that is not PC going OTT?

And if you want to call me racist, take a good look at yourself, I have a good enough mix of nationality in my blood to know where that comes from

to whom it may concern..... :evil: :wink:

Hmmn... when a foreign culture insults its hosts then there is definitely something not right... the problem is if you even as much as try and fight back this trend you get labelled as a racist and all that by media outlets and pressure groups and civil rights and equality NGO's...

There was a story on the BBC about an American who decided to put a sign in his shop asking customers to speak english and english only - this is america and english is our language - speak it or get lost or something like that...

Maybe we need something perhaps not as blunt but along those lines ....

EDIT: Here we go http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5127134.stm
Well, I have known many people of many nations and religions and find it strange that when you speak out against an element tha twants to subvert a nations identity and impose their own values, you are branded by these people as racist, which I am not....I just belive in calling an ace an ace, and a spade a spade, which has no bearing on that individual or group of individuals race, colour, nationality, religion, sexual persuasion,
or what ever.....

I think if I were to travel to a foreign country, and refuse to associate with the indiginous population, not allow my children to marry into their society, and kill them if they did, it would be me who would be in the wrong, not the children or the 'foreign culture' surrounding me!

That is just a no brainer!

Forgive me for speaking tho, for all of those who feel this is directed at a specific culture, race, nationality religion or sexual persuasion!

My forbearers ensured we integrated into Canadian culture, so much so that I cannot Speak Greek, or Russian or german, or Gaelic, but such is life! I can speak a little French tho' not that I have any French blood.....
But I do have the freedom and the joy and the right to learn about all these other cultures, religions and natioanalities and languages if and when I desire, and to marry anyone of any nationality or religion I like,
as long as they are OPEN MINDED enough to feel the same way.

So sue me!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'm from an Asian mixed background, and had to grow up in a predominantly white neighborhood and go to a predominantly white Catholic school (not my choice). I've had my share of racism over the years -- had insults thrown at my face, bullied as a kid, even snubbed by rich white ladies when I worked at a cosmetics shop.

I can honestly say that racial and cultural tolerance has improved since I was kid, perhaps because of the PC move in the 90's, but there's a point when you read a story like this, and it make you ask "hey, who's the one making these decisions!?" Sometimes it goes too far!!

If something becomes PC because someone *thinks* it might be insulting, without consulting the "insulted" group, it's a different matter! You might as well register make The Ministry of Silly Walks official! (ok, that came out of thin air. I just want to point out how the whole PC thing, which I believe initially started with good intentions, has become ... silly!)

It comes down to how much a society is willing to accept and tolerate other cultures, and how far that other culture is willing to adopt to their new country. It goes both ways. Personally I love learning about people and other cultures. How boring the world would be if everyone was alike!

This whole thing brings me to mind of an episode of "Seinfeld", where Elaine thought she was dating a black gentleman, and he thought Elaine was hispanic ... both were too afraid to ask the other what their background was, because it wouldn't be PC! Hilarity ensues.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
You have hit the nail on the head I as far as i am concerned Senovara.
I lived in the far east for many years when I was younger, and found it a facinating place. The people were friendly and tolerant, and welcomed us to participate in their local celebrations and customs.

I always viewed Canada as a tolerant, multicultural place, and love/loved it for being so. But as the years have gone by, it seems every time I go back, there seems to be more stories of this type.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote: If something becomes PC because someone *thinks* it might be insulting, without consulting the "insulted" group, it's a different matter! You might as well register make The Ministry of Silly Walks official! (ok, that came out of thin air. I just want to point out how the whole PC thing, which I believe initially started with good intentions, has become ... silly!)

Silly indeed! Big Grin
the sad thing is that both the group that complains about having to make allowances, as well as the group that initiates PC behaviour make the same mistake - neither communicate with the people who live in their towns and streets and asks them who they are, what they really think or what they do or don't want. Most of the growing tensions are based on ignorance and a lacking desire to change that. People read only headlines and are willing to chant factual nonsense are they're content doing that.

Quote: It comes down to how much a society is willing to accept and tolerate other cultures, and how far that other culture is willing to adopt to their new country. It goes both ways. Personally I love learning about people and other cultures. How boring the world would be if everyone was alike!
The sad thing is that it indeed goes both ways. The more one group shouts angry one-liners at another group, the more that group becomes entrenched. I absolutely hate the extreme behaviour (often voiced in religious overtones) of 'foreign' countrymen, but I also realise that the more extreme a voice sounds, the smaller the group actually is. Yet at the same time, too many are willing to take the extreme voice as typical for the whole group, which leads to unfounded claims on a grand scale.

What worries me these days is how awfully uninformed even well-educated collegues are (I work for the local council) and how that reflects the general mood here. It will undoubtedlly lead to a polarising in which the masses of well-integrated, tolerant, liberal members of those 'foreign cultures' will be forced to choose between totally letting go of their religion and culture, or go over to the extremists. That will not be a happy time here.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)