Thanks in advance.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Barry<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Barry -<br>
<br>
Evidence for the tetrarchic army is fairly fragmentary, but by comparing earlier and later details a rough picture can be constructed. As for legions of the later empire, this site:<br>
<br>
www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/legions.htm<br>
<br>
gives details of all known legion formations - go down the page a bit and you'll find lists of legions believed to have been created under the later emperors. Often these units are known only from a brick stamp or a tile, so there's not much to go on!<br>
<br>
As for the Notitia, I think it's believed that those units listed with a number in their name (i.e Tertia, Septimani etc) derive from the earlier numbered legions of the Principiate. Try this site:<br>
<br>
www.ne.jp/asahi/luke/ueda...terns.html<br>
<br>
for a commentary on the ND and the units it lists.<br>
<br>
AHM Jones (I'll get it right this time!) in his 'Later Roman Empire' gives a description of the assorted elite units of the tetrarchy and after - with many of these, it's impossible to say exactly when they were formed, but most would have been in existence by the end of Constantine's reign. The Herculani and Joviani legions had been formed by Diocletian as a field replacement for the Praetorians - the Scholae Palatini, so Jones believes, probably dated from Diocletian as well, as did the Scutarii and (more debatably) the Gentiles and Armaturae. The Corps of Protectores was in attendence on the emperor since before Diocletian - under Constantine they were distinguished as Protectores Domestici, and seem to have been a sort of officer cadet college.<br>
<br>
Jones gives a couple of interesting careers for soldiers in the tetrarchic period - no dates, unfortunately:<br>
<br>
"<em>Valerius Thiumpus, under Diocletian, served in Legio XI Claudia, then the Lanciarii, then became a Protectore. After five years he became Prefect of Legio II Herculia.<br>
Flavius Memorius was 28 years with the Joviani, six as Protectore, then was Prefect of the Lanciarii Seniores</em>."<br>
<br>
Hope that helps a bit.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross
Hello there Barry,<br>
<br>
From the little that I know. I believe that in order to look at the make up of Constantine's army you might want to look a bit earlier at Diocletian's army reforms. The site below might get you started in the right direction.<br>
<br>
members.tripod.com/~S_van...rarmy.html<br>
<br>
It's a whole site devoted to the late Roman army. 'Hope it helps. <p></p><i></i>
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
Hi guys,<br>
<br>
Thank you for this very useful information.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Barry <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ethnic Composition of Roman Army 259-271 Legionarii 7 2,461 05-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Army composition of the 3rd century crisis? EdwardL 12 5,834 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross