Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UNIT NICKNAMES
Are there any indications that units of the Roman Army had nicknames reflecting areas of their origin, battles fought in or reputations acquired along the road? Much in the same way as 'The Sherwood Foresters', 'The Diehards' and 'The Steelbacks' of the British Army etc etc.

Romanonick/Nick Deacon.
Romanonick/Nick Deacon
Whole legions did. Go here and click any of them: http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/legions.htm
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks Jim,

Quote:Whole legions did.
So in the case of 'XV Apollinaris' for example, I had always understood that the number and name were 'official' designations (the name perhaps appearing later at the whim of an emperor) rather than 'Apollinaris' added later as an unofficial appendage (and perhaps becoming official - bit like the Sherwood Foresters) - or am I getting this wrong ?
I was assuming that 'XV Appolinaris' may well have had a nickname like 'the sunshine boys' (Apollo being God of light and sun amongst others). Get my drift ?
Cheers,

Romanonick/Nick Deacon
Romanonick/Nick Deacon
I think one was called 'The Larks', which may have been an unofficial nickname? Or was it the added designation as mentioned above?
It was one of the Aduitrix legions if I remember correctly........ Confusedhock:
but there is every chance I don't!

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a reference to them 'larkin' about tho'! Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think that their 'official' names, like gemina (twin), Ferrata (iron), etc where also their nicknames. Also words of good behavior could be add, like Pia Fidelis
ALA I BATAVORUM
How about:

Legio XXI 'Rapax' ('the predator' or 'the tearing')
Legio VIIII "Hispana' ('the Spanish')
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I think that their 'official' names, like gemina (twin), Ferrata (iron), etc where also their nicknames. Also words of good behavior could be add, like Pia Fidelis
At the risk of hijacking this thread back into that same old debate, a long standing debate is the meaning of "Ferrata" (which as you stated, means Iron). Please use the search feature to find these discussions, but I will summarize it to say this:
There are some who believe that Ferrata is to be interpreted as Iron Clad, referring to the amount or type of armor used by them. The other side of the arguments interprets it as a more symbolic meaning of "Iron will", much like our more modern unit nickname of "Ironside".
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Quote:I think one was called 'The Larks', which may have been an unofficial nickname? Or was it the added designation as mentioned above?

That would be us, the Legio V Alaudae! Smile
Let me quote from our website:

Quote:It is thought that the legion was originally given the name V Gallica. The unusual Celtic name 'Alaudae' that it later received, refers to the Celtic tradition of wearing larks wings on their helmets (as can be see on boxes of Gauloise cigarettes).

I can't say how official this name was, but Mérida (Spain) struck coins with Larks's wings when V Alaudae transferred there (last quarter of the first century BC).

[Image: LEGVALAUD1.jpg]
--
Tertius Ulpius Martinus
MIL LEG V ALAUDAE

Martijn Körvers
Brussels, Belgium
Thats right! Thanks for the reminder Martijn.....one of Ceasars, and a mold breaker as well! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel