Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome Total War
PC game...Rome Total War with expansion pack.....I have everything but the original box, my wife organized the computer desk. Asking $30 for all, add $5 for shipping. Not sure howit would play on E.U. pc's....again, for a mate...

Wes
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
I just saw this! Is the game still available, Wes?

I hear really good things about RTW, but I'm wondering how complicated it is to play though. Is it similar to "Age of Empires"?

Cry I'm broke right now, but if you can hold it, I can buy it next month ... or another artwork trade if you like. Speaking of I'm aiming to finish the portrait by this weekend - sorry for the delay.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
It's about the same complexity as Age of Empires, probably, but it's a much better battle structure. You can more easily control your soldiers, they have walk and run speeds which you can change as needed, and some have the ability to perform special functions and formations. All those are on simple interface click-and-do screens. The civilizations have very different armies and combat styles.

There are diplomats which you can use to strike up alliances, sell maps, bribe enemy armies, negotiate agreements, and so on. They are not attackable by soldiers, but may be bribed and taken to another culture, or killed by assassins.

There are ships, and you can transport troops on any of them, not just transports, but naval warfare is all computer driven. The whole game, I think is more interesting, but that may be because AoE is old now, and not novel any more.

The town and building research leads to better weapons and amenities, you can raise and lower taxes to keep the citizens happy, on a town by town basis. Overall, it's a really good game. There are several threads on here already about this game. There are also expansions and numerous patches and mods for it.

Does that help?

Your pkg goes out today. At last. I wanted to give plenty of breeding time for the fibulae. :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:again, for a mate...

Pardon :oops: - I neglected to read that last part. If it's for a noble cause then I will pay for it.

Quote:It's about the same complexity as Age of Empires, probably, but it's a much better battle structure.

Ah! That's what I hoped! thanks David. Looking forward to my Roman goodies! Big Grin
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Yupper, I still have it Sharon....
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
To truly enjoy it, though, you need to get the patch: "Rome Total Realism"
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Quote:To truly enjoy it, though, you need to get the patch: "Rome Total Realism"

yes, it is of utmost importance that you get this. Otherwise your game will not function correctly and you will not get access to elephants, ninjas and half the playable map :wink:
Ninjas? Is that the Japanese expansion mod? :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Ninjas? Is that the Japanese expansion mod? :lol:

lol... well lets face it, if I tell him that when you install RTR you lose the ninjas and gain the 'historically accurate bunch' its not exactly persuasive is it lol, although I don't have a problem with that.
Oh, you were talking about the hook-handed full visored some kinda gladiators that are hiding even out in the open? I don't remember their names. I never recruit them. Or flaming pigs. I do use dogs sometimes, though, they're pretty fearsome on "naked fanatics" (who aren't naked, anyhow, they wear loin cloths of some kind)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Oh, you were talking about the hook-handed full visored some kinda gladiators that are hiding even out in the open? I don't remember their names. I never recruit them. Or flaming pigs. I do use dogs sometimes, though, they're pretty fearsome on "naked fanatics" (who aren't naked, anyhow, they wear loin cloths of some kind)

lol yeah... oh, and why the hell do you lose onagers and other siege machines in RTR? I thought they were accurate?
tell me more about this game. will i be able to attack other countries? will i be able to be any roman leader? please let me know.
Thanks
You tend to get them back I think,(I should know) but not sure, they come back in as you progress your buildings, or if you capture hellenic cities!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The non-expansion you have three Roman families to choose from. It is based on the republic up to the empire. The expansion pack is the empire to the fall of the Western Empire. You are not limited to the Romans in the expansion and can be anyone from the Brittons to the Mongols.

RTW is different from AoE in that you have families members that are actual units. When the head of the family dies the heir takes his place. If you have ever played Heros or Civilization 3 it's very similar except that you fight the battles AoE style. The only thing I don't like about it is that you don't have the option of fighting sea battles
Benjamin Williams
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.atlantaarmory.com">www.atlantaarmory.com
I played RTR through to a victory and did not see any onagers. I am now working through Roma Serrectum and thoroughly enjoying using Onagers.

Quintus Sertorius
aka Guido Aston
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston

[size=100:2nyk19du]The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. [/size]
Thucydides (471 BC - 400 BC)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Players needed Rome Total War Warrior of Italia 7 3,216 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Stug50
  Rome 2 Total Realism 3 released JaM 2 5,877 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Timus
  Rome: Total War II rononmaximus 250 89,977 10-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: womble67