Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Museums in Naples
Does anyone know in which museum in Naples the Pompeii/ Herculeneum plates are housed?

Thanks is advance Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
not much help, but if you walk around pompeii with a guide, all you can hear him or her say is.....and the original is in the air conditioned musuem in Naples, so i assume its the main Naples museum
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
Don't go running to Naples for a specific item though. Not only do they have a garbage problem at the moment, more importantly large sections of the museum seem to close at random times.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Which plates do you mean. Years ago I was allowed acces to the depot of the Museo Nazionale in Naples and was able to make pictures of all kinds of weaponry and medical instruments etc. They were also kind enough to open showcases of the weapons from Pompeii and Herculaneum. I've taken pictures all day, surrounded by two Italian bodyguards. It was lots of fun. I'm not allowed to use these pictures without written authorisation from the museum.

If you want acces to the museumdepot etc and make pictures, write them at least a 6 month ahead.

Maarten
Maarten Dolmans

Marcus Claudius Asclepiades

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.
CLASSIS AUGUSTA GERMANICA

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.paxromana.nl">www.paxromana.nl
Quote:Which plates do you mean. Years ago I was allowed acces to the depot of the Museo Nazionale in Naples and was able to make pictures of all kinds of weaponry and medical instruments etc. They were also kind enough to open showcases of the weapons from Pompeii and Herculaneum. I've taken pictures all day, surrounded by two Italian bodyguards. It was lots of fun. I'm not allowed to use these pictures without written authorisation from the museum.

If you want acces to the museumdepot etc and make pictures, write them at least a 6 month ahead.

Maarten

Not 6 month, I've asked the authorisation in october and I've been there 2 weeks ago, I can't use pictures in publications...
Non auro sed ferro recuperanda est patria
Nulla alia gens tanta mole cladis obruta esset
[Image: vasolib30240105up4.jpg]

Francesco Saverio Quatrano
Not to mention that these plates are probably traveling around with the Pompeii exhibit; maybe in Tokyo for the moment>? I did see them in Chicago last year.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?