Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Die Römer in Rheinland-Pfalz
Die Römer in Rheinland-Pfalz
von Heinz Cüppers (Autor), Helmut Bernhard (Autor), Walburg Boppert (Autor)
ISBN-10: 3933203600
ISBN-13: 978-3933203601

Anyone had a chance at this one yet? I was given one by a friend who recently returned from a trip to visit her family in Germany. It's about 2 inches thick, so I'm tempted to delay it's reading unless it can be considered a "must read".

P.S. I tried through a couple places and as far as I can see, it's not available in English.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
I'm not entirely sure whether I've read it or not, but the 'Die Römer In...' books are usually high calibre. Plus, they're more like reference books, so you wouldn't read it cover to cover.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
A great series, very useful books, I have most of them (I only miss the volume about Hessen). Of course they're a bit outdated when it comes to archaeological discoveries over the last decade.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I got nearly all of them, but I gave away the "Römer in Baden-Württemberg" some time ago because there was a new edition then.
(Now I simply "forgot" to buy that one again-- there have been times when I went "broke" :wink: )
Nearly all of them seem to be out of print now, except for "Römer in Baden-Württemberg" which since 2005 is available in it's 4th Ed. .
As far as I know the only other Volume that has been updated, was
"Römer in Hessen" ( 1st Ed. 1982/2nd Ed. 1987).
The remainder of the Volumes is about 20 years old, as far as I see, so they are somewhat outdated when it comes to "novelties".
But nevertheless I share the opinion of my fellow threadmates, that they are still worthwhile reading.
They simply got great introductory chapters, each one written and layed-out in a slightly differernt manner with each volume and they are quite practical guides for the "educated" sightseer for the areas they cover. And , of course, they still make great quick-references. :!:
For "popular-science"-books they were not cheap then, not even by today's standards, but if there would be new Editions right now, I'd rather save on my meals to afford them. Cry ( O.K. -- well, not what I'd call real understatement here, so let's say, they would still be representing "a lot for the money" today. :wink: )
Yes, I think reading one of those volumes is a worthwhile pastime.
Further information:
http://www.theiss.de/detail_search.php?n=919&term=Die Römer&pn=2

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Thanks!
She said she got it at a flea market for 15Eu. So I guess, it was worth it.

Robert, A quick search turned up a 2002 edition of the Hessen edition at amazon.de I might have to check into shipping cost to the U.S. once I get a look at the one I currently have, then.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
This is a very good series. There are also books available for Bayern (Bavaria), Hessen, Nordrhein-Westfalen (North Rhine Westphalia). In the first section they give a good overview of the Roman history of the Bundesland (Federal State) in question. In the second section you find an extensive overview of all Roman finds in that Bundesland and if and where they are exhibited nowadays.