Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late roman scabbard discs!
Howdy rangers!

I am interested in discs / roundels at the end of the late roman sword scabbards. It is perhaps common knowledege that the most common form of the tips of the scabbard ends in the 4th century was a box-like shape, either a box or just a form like depicted in the famous "Tetrarchy statue" of venice.

I would like to know of any evidence of continuing use of disc / roundel-like shapes of scabbard ends of the 3th century further till the 4th century. The evidence of a 4th century disc / roundel shapes I have found are the famous Köln spatha (dated ca 300 AD) and a roman soldier tombstone from Aquileia (dated early 4th century). There is also a vaque resemblance of the shape in a treasure from Kaiseraugst...

Any other evidence (I have already studied the bog-finds of northern europe...)?!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
These are a variety of chapes from South Shields Fort museum

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... CF0109.jpg

And this is actually a saxon set, not quite what you are referring to, but reminds me a little of an elaboration of the earlier Roman period(ie Late Roman, just very elaborate) Don't know if anyone would agree, but i can see a similarity.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... CF0337.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... CF0336.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... CF0335.jpg
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Virilis will get back to you on this one Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Thanks Byron, I am familiar with these scabbard ends :wink: ! I am looking particularly evidence of continuing use of the disc-shape scabbard ends until the 4th century...

Btw, your avatar fills my whole computer screen, can anyone tell me the reason why Smile !!??
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Hmmm, it looks smaller than yours on mine... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Thanks Byron, I am familiar with these scabbard ends :wink: ! I am looking particularly evidence of continuing use of the disc-shape scabbard ends until the 4th century...

The one on the right in the first picture actually is a disc, just broken.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Virilis:lee33xvr Wrote:Thanks Byron, I am familiar with these scabbard ends :wink: ! I am looking particularly evidence of continuing use of the disc-shape scabbard ends until the 4th century...

The one on the right in the first picture actually is a disc, just broken.

In fact the type is "Zugmantel", not a disk type :wink: ! Seriously, your avatar is so big that it fills my whole screen and pushes other things out of the screen :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:The one on the right in the first picture actually is a disc, just broken.

The bone one? No, it's not a broken disc chape. This is the type that Virilis is asking about..

[Image: a19cv.jpg]
Well not sure what the problem is, as it is smaller than yours on mine. :wink:
Whatever the 'term' is, it is a 'disc', made of bone. Except it has an extension at the top. :wink: But then that would warrent it a whole different terminology I suppose.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I would have pulled a modern reconstruction off the web, but thought he might be interested in a real one. If it isn't a chape, you had better inform the museum at Arbea Peronis :wink: It certainly looks like a chape to me.

Anyway, sorry if that is not what you need Virilis. Just thought you might be interested.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks guys, this reconstruction by Patrick Bartà is the one I was looking for! I have the impression that these kind of chapes were still in use at least in the early 4th century...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
This is strange, Byron`s avatar is huge on my laptop screen but with my other computer it is okay Confusedhock: ! Can someone please help me with this problem?!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:Whatever the 'term' is, it is a 'disc', made of bone. Except it has an extension at the top. But then that would warrent it a whole different terminology I suppose.

Yes, it's definately a chape but not a disc type. it's basically a bone version of this.. A Pelta shape.
[Image: Rferrule4.jpg]

Disc chapes are these things..
[Image: Rferrule2.jpg]
[Image: Rferrule3.jpg]
Peroni,

Does Nodge make pelta chapes?

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
This is a text from Christian Miks great book about roman swords (doctoral thesis):

Eine vergleichbare Einordnung ins späte 3. Jh. bis frühe 4. Jh. n.Chr. ist in anbebracht des erhaltenen Dekors auch für einen möglichen silbernen Ortbanddeckel aus dem Bereich des spätrömischen Kastells in Augsburg und das Fragment eines aus Bronze und Silber konstruierten potentiellen Dosenortbands im Nationalmuseum in Athen in Erwägung zu ziehen, bei denen unzureichende oder nicht vorhandene Fundort-bzw. Fundkontextangaben ansonsten keine chronologischen
Aussagen zulassen.

I interprete this that there is some evidence of round discs chapes continuing until at least early 4th century, of course in addition to the famous Köln spatha and the tombstone from Aquileia I mentioned earlier...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman scabbard Medicus matt 6 2,249 03-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  late roman sword and scabbard munazio planco 8 2,357 06-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Last Post: ArthuroftheBritons
  apron discs with decoration Marcus Mummius 16 3,276 05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus