Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman wooden table
Round tables of that ort can be consistently seen on indoors triclinium scenes, therefore, dismountable as they seemiongly were, those tables were not only designed as 'campaign' furniture.<br>
Dan,<br>
Could you please, send me the photo of the table leg?<br>
Thanks<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Has any one used the old SCA table. the round one make out of only one piece of plywood?<br>
the legs are connected to the underside by only built up mortces. left over wood is screwed into place on the underside just wide apart for the plywood leg to fit in. the legs are X'd in the middle and can be carved into fantastic designs keeping in mind that taking too much out weakens the table.<br>
the table top can be marblized or wood grained or just plain painted. the one Im thinking of is round and when moving it over the "field" it rolled really well and I only had to carry the legs. it was stable on unstable ground.<br>
<br>
give it a try and you can find out alot by doing<br>
sure Im a tiro but not in the SCA<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Dear friends,<br>
<br>
There is indeed a very beautifull leg of a roman wooden table found in the well of a roman fort in Oberaden (enddate 9 AD). I have do not only have pictures of the original but also good 1:1 reconstructiondrawings of it. The leg has a lenght of 57.5 cm. It was made of 'ahornholz'. (J.S. Kuehlborn, Bodenaltentuemer Westfalens 27, p. 171). I'm currently making this table for our roman group. The legs of the tabel are very easy to remove for transport. A few years ago a there was also a publication on all the wooden furniture in pompeii. I'll try to find out who wrote it. The foldingchair mentioned is not Wissembourg, but from weissenburg in Bavaria, Germany. In several forts along the Danube chairs like these were found, but also in England and Holland.<br>
<br>
Greetings arpvar <p></p><i></i>
This topic is growing increasingly better !<br>
Arpvar, would it be an abuse on my part to ask you for those pics and drawings? (e-mail [email protected] )<br>
Mainly those of the table, because I have my furniture maker waiting for my final design, but those of the folding chairs would be really great!<br>
It is clear that there were intermediate wooden links holding together the tree legs (I suppose that the Oberaden leg will bear traces of the attaching point) but on the table top I've posted a little earlier, there seems to be traces of another link, just below the table top. What is your opinion on that?<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance,<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Avete omnes!<br>
<br>
The problem of the SCA table is that it can't be documented much earlier than 1966 or so - when it was published in Sunset magazine...<br>
<br>
Scythius <p>LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB<br>
<br>
- FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS - </p><i></i>
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
Yes!<br>
I was not hoping all these responses.....<br>
Arpvar, can you send me too this precious stuff? I need everything: drawings, pics, ....<br>
my private email is: [email protected] .<br>
<br>
Many thanks in advance! <p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
I have sent Rich Cambell images of the Weissembourg folding chair and Oberaden lion head table leg, and asked him to post them on this thread.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
dear friends,<br>
<br>
I will send you the drawings and some detailed pictures in two weeks time, by then my new computer and scanner will be installed.<br>
<br>
Arpvar <p></p><i></i>
Many thanks, Dan and arpvar, I look forward to see those images!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
Here are Dan's images:<br>
<br>
The drawing:<br>
img15.photobucket.com/alb...pstuhl.jpg<br>
<br>
<br>
The lion's leg:<br>
img15.photobucket.com/alb...ionleg.jpg <p>Legio XX<br>
Fortius Conamur<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Got them!<br>
Many thanks to you too, Rich!<br>
<br>
Aitor<br>
<br>
PS. Arpvar, don't forget us, please! <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
<br>
<br>
It was probably both: civilian and military (officers' furniture) and it's easy that the military variant was dismountable.<br>
Great leg view! Seen the mortising (joining) element it seems absolutely intact and smoothed (no splinters signs at all), so, it suggests that it was made to be dismounted and never glued to the top... Is it the only pic? Any views more? Any colour evidence on it?<br>
It should be interesting to experiment the making of a dismountable one...<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
That is exactly what I intend to do, Titus !<br>
I'm only waiting for some cross-sections of that leg and the indication of the point of attachment for the inner struts at midheight. We can only hope that arpvar's computer will be ready in date !<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
You're all way off the mark. I've solved the problem for you:<br>
<br>
pub45.ezboard.com/fromana...=744.topic <p>Legio XX<br>
Fortius Conamur<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
When they say table legs they mean table legs! <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unique Roman table of curse found and decoded jvrjenivs 7 2,452 06-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar