Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got Ourselves Some Oak Trees
[size=150:1z93cqxi]YAY![/size]

We've made contact with a property owner in North California who has given us two OAK trees. I've not seen them, photos are on their way, but by description in regard to our needs, both have 1 meter {not 3 as previously posted.. doh! on me!!} diameter trunks that have 7 to 8 metre tall straight trunks before branching out.

Looks like a major road trip in March! One maybe two weekends. Attack the project in waves

Axes, broad head "dolabra", mauls, splitting wedges, froes, I guess I'm going to have to finish those saws! .... Man oh man, this is going to be fun!

Pilum shafts, wood bowls, boards for work benches, timbers for "machines", branch elbows for bracing, valli, and lots and lots of wood slats for scutums!!!!

This is what Roman soldiering is all about!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
I'd settle on some ash right now.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
When it cools down you can have some from my fire Big Grin lol: :lol: :lol:
[Image: christmas06003-1.jpg]
What size ash do you want :?:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking for something for pilum shafts, light and heavy, not sure what diameter though. The heavy will need turning, as the block on the end will require a square length.
I think 1-1/4" , 30mm round or slightly bigger will do for the light pilum I have. The new ones I have on order I am not sure exactly what diameter shaft is required.

Do you have any? Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ha Ha Pilvm shafts no nothing for that length but will keep a eye out :wink:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Every where is pine , not an oak nor ash to be seen....Except across the road in the cemetary! Sad
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
No turning. If its green it'll cut down FAST with a draw knife... 15 - 20 minutes... finish with a spoke shave, tune it smooth with a scrape.

If we plan our OAK TREES PROJECT right there'll be minimal firewood.. alot depends on the grain and knots .... smaller diameters.. ...intend to take a chipper/shreader to the smaller stuff... mulch making...

Big project.

Might have to rent a 24' truck to get the timbers back to LEG IX HSPA HQ in S.Diego.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

What other hardwoods are there back there Hibs?

not that I'm a wood expert, just i don't know jack about the timber from my own continent....
Also, I imagine I will be lucky just to find shafts of ash or oak for making these, green wood highly unlikely unless i go all over the country looking.
I would make a mess if I tried to carve a shaft, might try it but depends.
I am still on the first step with a scabbard, not exactly a production line hereLOL

Good luck on your trees! Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:.... both have 3 meter diameter trunks that have 7 to 8 metre tall straight trunks before branching out.

Dang. That's big. Those must be over 500 years old. That would make a kick-ass dugout canoe.
Lugorix

aka:  Jeffrey Adam Scharp
No no no.. canoes.... Now give me some withies and I'll frame up a coracle in an hour!

Not sure of the age., not yet anyway. The two trees are on private property and are marked for removal.

Hardwoods in California? .. oak, ash, poplar, sycamore. ...native species too.... some are similar to Eastern US and European varieties, some are not.. .... we have some odd oaks here.. some are evergreens.. might get 6-7 meters tall. ...more like shrubs... not a straight grain anywhere!

San Diego County has two uniques species of coastal pines... short, wind swept, like giant bonsai... Local mountains have pines that reaches 150' and sycamores in coastal canyons that hit 75' easy. Then there're the Eucalyptus forests on some of the coastal mesas that railroad companies planted 100+ years ago in order to make railroad ties. project failed...

Some parts of S Diego look like Melbourne OZ

A funny-ish thing in coastal canyons.. fan palms growing side by side with oaks and sycamores... with the occasional yucca...

go figure...
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

In the San Joaquin Valley, which is in central California, we have a special type of oak tree called a valley oak. They are beautiful trees that make some beautiful projects.

Andy
Andy Pierucci
Stockton, California USA
Yo Hibs, where in N. California does the owner have the property? Just curious; I was born in Chico, near Sacramento, and grew up in Willows. I'd wondered where oak of that size might be left.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Not sure if its a valley oak. The description of of the trees that I have does not seem to fit. Pictures'll tell though. They might be an eastern variety... long straight trunks.. but we'll see.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coppicing trees for spear shafts and other tools Hibernicus 44 9,913 09-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake