Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New roman camp discovered in Spain
It´s not a new new (haha!) 09.09.07, but I just read today!

News in Spanish here

It´s located in Valderejo Valley, not far from a village I lived years ago.
(Search "lahoz" in google earth)

It´s dated between the 49 and 45 b.C. or by the Cantabric wars in the early empire. It has 2600 sq Meters, and probably allocated one Cohort,is rectangular, and had a "clavicula externa" gate (unable to translate this. :oops: I hope it´s similar in latin) similar to those in Alesia.

I have been unable to find more info on this, sorry.

[Image: 012D7ALA001_1.jpg]
"X" marks the spot. :lol:

Which reminds me that I have still to write an article here :oops: about the more or less nearby Andagoste battle and camp, discovered by archeology, and dating from more or less the same time.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Thanks for the info Iagoba!

Quote:(Search "lahoz" in google earth)
That's the village or the site? If it's not the site, where do I go from this point?
http://maps.google.nl/maps?hl=nl&q=Laho ... a=N&tab=wl
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Iagoba...muchas gracias.

Nice article and cool info. I'm not a great translator but it says roughly that this camp might have been used as part of military operations during the times of Caesar and Pompey the Great between the years of 49bc to around 45bc. The camp was a rectangular structure of about roughly 2,600 squared meters. It probably housed a legionary cohort; around 48o men according to the archaeologist.

And then it described on how legionaries were able to march around 25 kilometers on a single march and were able to put up installations fairly quickly; from one night to one month depending on their needs.

It also was explained briefly on how the camp was built.

The archaeologist in the article is convinced that more camps of this sort might be found in or around this area.

Just trying to help a bit. Smile

[PS: In my haste to help I didn't realize that you had translated but in many less words...sorry ]
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
It certainly looks like a descriptin from Ceasars civil wars ......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes, is that "lahoz" :wink:
I think, seeing the photo, that the camp is situated 300-400 meters NNW of the village.
As you see, it´s not far from Vitoria, and neither from Andagoste battle site (search "kuartango"). I´m still looking more info to know the exact place of the later :?

As soon as possible I´ll go there to inspect the site...
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Some books (unfortunately in Spanish) on the cantabrian wars:
J. Gonzalez Echegaray, Los cantabros (Santander 1997) and
E. Peralta Labrador, Los cantabros antes de Roma. Real. Acad. Hist.Bibl. Arch. Hispana 4 (Madrid 2000).
For those of you who can read German, there is an essay on the roman forts at La Espina del Gallego (Cantabria, Spain):
Eduardo Peralta Labrador, Die augusteische Belagerung von La Espina del Gallego (Kantabrien, Spanien). Germania 79/1, 21ff.
Folkert Tiarks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spain still Roman in 494 AD? Barbula 8 1,243 02-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Late Roman Fortifications in Spain - help SMC 13 2,858 11-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New marching camp found in Spain Iagoba 12 2,694 10-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell