Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isn\'t it a fine Aquila?
Just found it lost in my cell-phone images file... I like to share with you this particularly fine Aquila is on one side of a forgotten marble cippus placed in the parking area of a supermarket along the via Cassia in Roma, in front of a big plants shop. The front text looks as deleted, on the other side there is a laurel wreath. I guess the most of the people pass by it without any awareness of its meaning and glory.

[Image: 18-12-07_1244.jpg]

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Awesome, I can't wait to get to Rome! Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
What is that from?

Legion: TBD
Wow! Funny how this wonderful art is found in a supermarket carpark, of all places!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
It is indeed a very impressive image.

An important question, however, is - Can it be dated?
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Well, dating it seems difficult AFAIK, even if it does not look older than II-III century a.v.

We know that the present via Cassia was the ancient via Clodia and there passed the a lot of the history of Roma...
Anyway Lucius Aurelius Verus Augustus after coming back from his Persian military expedition built his magnificent villa as Iulius capitolinus said in Hist. Aug., Vita Veri, VIII, 8: «…villam praeterea exstruxit in via Clodia famosissimam, in qua per multos dies et ipse ingenti luxuria debacchatus est cum libertis suis et amicis paribus» find it at 41° 57' 24,64" N - 12° 27' 19,57" E at about 1000 mt. from the supermarket carpark where the cippus is ( 41° 57' 12,67" N - 12° 27' 19,57" E ).

So the cippus could be related to it. But some Km to North we also find the tomb of Publius Vibius Marianus, Praefectus of the II-III century Legio III Gallica, moreover, but of course I don't think it so ancient, Titus Liuius says that Hannibal camped just here in 211...

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

Quote:Titus Liuius says that Hannibal camped just here in 211...
Wow! Hannibal camped in the parking area of a supermarket? History never ceases to amaze me.... :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS:1k6r84pa Wrote:Titus Liuius says that Hannibal camped just here in 211...
Wow! Hannibal camped in the parking area of a supermarket? History never ceases to amaze me.... :wink:

He wasn't daft you know Confusedhock: He had a whole army to feed! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
No. They rather had heard the supermarket was selling that new amazing invention: the toilet paper.

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

:lol:

Well, I will probably not have time to look for it this time when i go, but I will definately be going back for a longer visit later!
I cannae wait!!! Tongue D
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:cannae wait!!!

:lol:

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

Niiiice Aquila! Thanks for sharing!
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.