Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice from the wise
Hey Julius, you could be P. Dominus Antonius' twin brother! You both look just alike! Small world, eh guys?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ave!

I've made a crest attachement for at least one Acquincum-style helmet, without making a hole in the block. Instead, I folded a piece of brass sheet into a T shape, with the fold at the bottom and the vertical part being a double thickness. In other words, start with a strip about an inch wide or a little more, 3 to 4 inches long, fold it in half, then fold down the top half-inch or so on both sides to right angles. Next cut a notch in the bottom so that it fits into the slot on the knob with the resulting "legs" on either side of the notch neatly bracketing the knob. Drill through the knob and the fitting for a lock pin, and then nail the fitting to the bottom of your crest block.

The extensions or "legs" on the fitting keep the block from pivoting back and forth. They don't have to be very wide, so you can trim the edges of the fitting as you like to keep it from looking too bulky. Oh, if the slot on the knob is wider, just make that first fold more of a U shape to fit. Should work. I really need to get a good photo of this!

This should let you fit the crest from your wife on your good helmet, and you can use the "trooper" helmet for kids to try on!

Good luck and Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Quote:This should let you fit the crest from your wife on your good helmet, and you can use the "trooper" helmet for kids to try on!

That's indeed the ideal solution!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Thanks everybody for your help . I did know about the staff and ring being the " Optios" mark of office but liked the Idea of the crest . Anyway I think I will take Peroni up on his offer to make me an attachment .

I knew I could count on you guys for some good advice and Ideas .

Thanks ,

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Jvlivs so do you still want me to make one :?:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I might as well go with the fitting Peroni is going to make me mate , the last thing I want is someone to say thats not authentic and try to be clever but thank you anyway tony it was good of you to offer and good to see you yesterday at the fort - top man .

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
No problem glad your sorted Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walking Hadrians Wall In Early-Mid Imperial Armour...Words From The Wise? jpdt30 1 991 03-18-2018, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Need a bit of advice helm wise caiusscipio 0 769 04-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Last Post: caiusscipio