Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frustrated (Solder Paste)
I can't locate any place locally that sells solder paste. Not FLUX, but the solder that is mixed with flux to create a paste.

If any Canadians out there know of a place that sells it, or anyone else knows somewhere I can order online with decent S&H prices, please let me know!

Legion: TBD
Magnus,have you tried Google ? I just found innumerable sources.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
If so, the lead based stuff is now very difficult to find. Though a quick search of the net located one provider in the USA.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
I've seen silver solder paste at Canadian Tire Matt- it's just not cheap...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
How to make solder paste: by Avitianus.

Take a file, better coarse, or even a rasp.

Then, get a block of tin. If you don't have a block of tin, you can fuse some tin in a mold or a can, in order to make a block of tin.

File the block. When you are filing, take the particles of tin and collect there.

Then do a mix between that dust of filing particles and some flux of fine quality.

NOW YOU HAVE SOLDER PASTE!

Easy.

The file have to be coarse or a rasp, because the dust of tin "blinds" the files, settling between the teeth of the file. If you use a coarse one, the dust can goes out more easily.
I get mine from these guys..

http://www.gwneale.co.uk/nealetin.html
I tried Canadian Tire, they had jack squat...so I may try a few others in the area.

Andy, I tried Google, and even e-bay...found some places, but nothing in Canada...I don't know why it's so hard to come by.

Otherwise, I'll do what Cesar suggested and just make my own.

I dont know about Canada, but.....I just went down to the local Orchard Supply and Hardware (OSH) and to the plumbing section. I found some "LDR flux & solder" (95/5 Tin/Antimony). The stuff works just fine.
In other words, try the plumbing section of your local hardware supply store (or plumbing supply place, of course).
Stuff and Things
L. J. Parreira
Not sure what it is that you're working on. If it would work, you might be able to find flux-core wire?
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Hey L.J., believe me, I tried. lol. I called one of the largest plumbing supply stores in my area and they don't carry it...I couldn't believe it. I checked 2 different chains locally (Home Hardware and Canadian Tire Hardware stores) and zilch.

Brian, I'm hoping to tin some 4 X 10 inch brass plates in the oven for belt plates, before I stamp them.

Have you looked for it by brand name? Oatey's 95 is available in both water-based flux and the waxy oil based. Small containers about 3cm in diameter, 1 cm thick.

Just a thought. There are probably others, but this one works ok. It's made for tinning the connnections on copper tubing, to make the solder stick better, I think. I tinned a whole helmet with the stuff. I spent a lot more time cleaning the extra flux off than actually tinning. Oh, well. BTW, don't use a cloth polishing wheel to take the flux off, unless you never intend to use it for regular polishing again. Death to the cloth. Flux won't come out. Ick. Puts black gooey stuff on what you want to polish. There, I warned ya.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yellow Brass Colored Solder Gaius Germanicus 2 3,464 08-25-2006, 01:33 AM
Last Post: Gaius Germanicus
  Need CDN source for Jeweler\'s saw and silver solder.... Magnus 5 1,862 05-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Peroni
  alternative solder uses? Emeraldweapon7d 2 1,337 01-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Caius Fabius