Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scale armor reconstruction
Does anyone knows any example of a scale armor that has scales (not necessarily all of them, maybe only some scales in specific location) that have offset points?
Maybe similar to this:
[Image: test1.jpg]
Romulus Stoica

Better be a hawk for a day than crow for an year!
Do you want to use something like this for shoulder covers? Or for the seam between two sections of scales? On Roman armour?

Frank
Frank.
(who lacks the creativity necessary to produce an interesting signature)
Well ... This idea started when I saw the picture of a scale found in an Romanian archaeological site, here in the county of Hunedoara. I have posted about this findings also. A few weeks ago I saw the picture and I was intrigued by the fact that the point was offset at a 2 to 1 ratio. The scale is dated around first century AD and it's supposed to be dacian. The first picture I saw was the scale as it was found, covered in clay and oxidation. The holes pattern wasn't visible and I started to think how the scale was connected. My first idea was a shoulder covering also. A few days ago I have received a picture of the cleaned scale with holes pattern visible enough. I have found analogies with scales from Scythian armor that has the same holes pattern and also sometimes, offset point scales. It makes sense since in this area there was a dacian tribe of Scythian origin. In the time of Burebista (Boroistas, Boroista, Burebistas), this area was inhabited by Scythian tribes that joined the dacian kingdom after Burebista's war with the Celts (Boi and Taurisci tribes).
Sadly I can't post here the picture of the scale since it wasn't published yet and I want to avoid any copyright problems. :roll:
Romulus Stoica

Better be a hawk for a day than crow for an year!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scale Armor & Accuracy markusaurelius 160 36,774 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Roman scale armor Vexillation 7 2,258 12-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Last Post: FarDarter
  Scale Armor with sleeves... markusaurelius 9 4,262 05-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius