Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius Scabbards
I had just read that the Rhinegonhiem was silver sheet some where, but some one told my quite sometime ago that the Tiberius was brass, etc.
I think someone else said there were proof marks giving the weight of silver used on the Rhinegonhiem, but I could be thinking of something else. :roll: I should dig up the threads, but I think Crispus posted the bit about the weights....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Good point. It was Crispvs, I'm sure, who mentioned the marks.

More mention of plating, nothing solid, HERE and HERE

Quote:The sword from Rheingonheim had a silver plated wooden handle and the rivet originally possessed a ‘small ring from a bronze chain’, recalling a gladiator relief from Rome where the sword is suspended form the gladiator’s wrist by a cord or chain.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Wouldn't solid silver be pretty soft? I'd think it would be rarely, if ever, used for structure. Brass or bronze covered in silver seems more likely, just going on thought, not evidence.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Tarbicus,

One of the sights you posted took the description for the Rheingonheim hilt from B&C2 page 78 bottom.

Also Bishop mentions that the hilt is silvered and that the weight of silver is shown as being 3.75 roman ounces or 102grams. Is it possible that "silvered" can also suggest that the object was just covered in silver and not that it necessairly was dipped. Dipping into silver appears not to be an accepted theory so "silvering" could suggest covering in silver be it foil or whatever other method. Yes, No, Maybe?

Knowing that the Kalkriese had silver guttering, would it then be plausible to make an entire scabbard out of silver or would it still be far fetched? I was thinking of making the Vindonissa scabbard plates out of silver and the guttering in brass.

Any opinions (which are always welcome)

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mainz gladius with frame scabbards Marcus Mummius 7 2,552 10-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Last Post: Magnus
  Vindonissa and other gladius scabbards Doc 2 1,585 03-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Doc
  My New Gladius Scabbards Matt Lukes 32 6,401 11-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Last Post: Mark Headlee