Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Embosing and Tinning Scabbard plates ect ?
Crispvs,

I used tin solder, but Tacitus writes that the Romans used pitch for swords and helmets.

In the past I've made several of them, the first took me 200 hours, the others 120. Unfortunately they can not be made with a stamp (which i off coures tried) as this wrinkles the brass foil. I presume the Romans used a raw model for the larger shapes and did the rest by hand.

Byron, the embossed scabbard in the middle comes from Valkenburg. It was found under the doorstep of a centurio building in the castellum. It was definately an offering while building the centurio chambers. I identified it as part of a centurio sword. Next to it pieces of a Roman belt were found, with the same motive (acanthus leaves). The motive is very know and stands for the glory of the Roman empire/emperor: the emperor gives growth and glory (see also Ara Pacis in Rome etc). After I have finished making the Roman facemask from Leiden-Roomburg (NL) I will make a reconstruction of the centurio scabbard.

In an other centurio chamber an Imperial Gallic Helmet E was found, also an offering. It did not have a forehead band as all other Imperial Gallic helmets have. It wasn't missing either, no holes for fastening it were visible under Q rays. The appliques were silvered. The edges on the front and neckplate were not covered in bronze but with leather with goldfoil on it. I also think this to be a centuriohelmet.

I published both items in 1995 nad 1997 in the Oudheidkundige mededelingen van het Rijksmuseum van Oudheden te Leiden (OMROL)

Maarten
Maarten Dolmans

Marcus Claudius Asclepiades

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.
CLASSIS AUGUSTA GERMANICA

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.paxromana.nl">www.paxromana.nl

Messages In This Thread
Are we sure? - by Marcus Julius - 01-11-2008, 05:41 AM
Re: Are we sure? - by Marcus Mummius - 01-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Re: Embosing and Tinning Scabbard plates ect ? - by maarten - 01-25-2008, 09:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creating a Fulham Scabbard With Reprousse~ Plates Pointer 5 2,240 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Tinning belt plates 2biggij 9 3,316 04-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Repousse~ Scabbard Plates and Lockets Pointer 24 4,548 08-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Last Post: ROMan