Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Greek Mercenaries (664–250 BCE)
Does anyone have access to "History Compass" and the article: "Ancient Greek Mercenaries (664–250 BCE)", by Matthew Trundle?
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
No, but I have the book "Greek Mercenarie Soldiers" by H.W. Parke, which covers the same period, if information from that source can be of any use.......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
PM me your email address and I can pass it along... (goes for anybody else, as well).

Quote:Ancient Greek Mercenaries (664–250 BCE)
Matthew Trundle
Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand

Abstract

Greek mercenary service played a major role in the history of the Archaic and Classical ages (700–323 BCE) down to the early Hellenistic age (250 BCE). Mercenary service became more predominant in the Greek world in this period as the poleis (city-states) coalesced into more stable communities and coinage became more prevalent in the eastern Mediterranean. Greeks proved they were effective warriors in the later Archaic age and so found themselves in greater demand by the imperial powers of the east and the tyrants of Sicily in the Classical period. At the same time warfare became more specialized with the appearance of light troops and cavalry, often mercenaries from the periphery of the Greek world, on the battlefields of the Greek mainland. Mercenary service, like other aspects of Greek military life, reflected and influenced social, economic and political developments in the Greek world in the polis period. This article explores current debates about the origins, nature and general circumstance of Greek mercenary service and gives an overview of its history in the period.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Thanks Dan, I've got it now.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"