Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Century Balteus Composition
I am currently gathering parts to make two narrow belts based on the finds at Vindonissa, and I was thinking about the belts construction.

Typically I have been using only a single layer of leather with the plates mounted directly to it.

After seeing a couple reconstructions by other craftsman I am beginning to wonder if the belt itself may have been a little more elaborate than just a single layer of leather.

I currently have two ideas on how to construct my belt. First idea is simply two layers of thin leather stitched together, two simple rows of stitching on the edges.

My second idea is to actually wrap a inner layer of leather with a thin decorative leather, with a line of decorative stitching down each edge.
This method would be the most complex since the wrap around leather would actually cover the rivets, and roves on the back of the belt, after the plates were riveted on.

Is there any evidence on how the belts themselves were actually constructed?
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Sounds like some interesting options, Paul, but I was under the impression that the edge stitching was to stop the leather strap from stretching? That might imply the leather was thinner and just one piece (I'm thinking particularly of the apron strap with studs that was found, which wasn't even double stitched at the edges but just run through).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Tabricvs,

I thought the samething, but if I am going to go through the trouble of stitching it, I think I will use brightly colored thread, and possibly even alternate the colors for flash.

I would think that if they support the weight of the plates, and dagger, and possibly sword the belt itself would have to be tougher, with either two layers of thin leather, or one thicker layer.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mid-1st Century A.D. Balteus / Subarmalis Patterns Pointer 9 3,628 07-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  4th century: Sword belt or balteus? Hraban 6 2,878 05-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  balteus of cavalry (1st/2nd century AD) Aurelianus 7 2,331 01-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius