Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antigonus Monophtalmus image urgently needed
Hi there,

Can anybody provide me with a high resolution (300 dpi+) image of Antigonus Monopthalmus for inclusion in a book on the wars of the diadochi? A statue/bust would be best, but even a coin portrait would be useful. It must be in the public domain (ie free of copyright) or you must own the copyright to the image. You can have a mention in the caption and a free copy of the book when it is published.

Failing that, if you could direct me to where I can find one, that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil Sidnell
http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Bios/Anti ... almus.html
This is coin of his,though I suspect the one depicted is Alexander...Youcan ask the copyright from the owner of the site?
I've found the coin in Wikipedia and and in other sites with a yahoo search,but no bust or something.Even if the head depicted is not himself,at least you have his name inscribed on it ("ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΓΟΝΟΥ")
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Thanks for this. I had come across that coin image already. It is way too low resolution but I'm waiting for the site owner to get back to me on it. It clearly portrays Alexander, or is intended to portray Antigonos in his image.

As for the Alexander Sarcophagus, I thought that Companion was meant to be Perdiccas? I guess nobody actually knows. I read also that the pediment on one end shows the murder of Perdiccas but I can't find an image of that detail.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Phil
[Image: Antigone_le_Borgne_%28pi%C3%A8ce%29.jpg]
Well,the fact that Antigonos was one of the companions,the same generation as Alexander explains nicely the head of Alex on the coin,like those of other successors. Also,the lion skin,the big nose,the big and deep eyes and the round chin,all are characteristics of Alexander's portraits.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:Well,the fact that Antigonos was one of the companions,the same generation as Alexander explains nicely the head of Alex on the coin,like those of other successors.

Antigonus was much more likely a companion of Alexander's father Philip. He is attested as having died at Ipsos at the age of 80 or 82. this would place him more than a clear generation older than Alexander.

Fascinating individual the old "One Eye". A raucous laugh and strong sense of humour that belied a singular callous streak which he displayed without remorse. Not one to cross nor, as the sources tell us, to poke fun at over his one eye. He came within an ace of grabbing Alexander's empire - not before going within millimetres of losing the lot to Eumenes in Iran.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Quote:As for the Alexander Sarcophagus, I thought that Companion was meant to be Perdiccas? I guess nobody actually knows.

I believe that's the general consensus. The fellow depicted would seem to a bit young for the One Eyed. There is no definitive view on which battle it may have been. Most guesses come down to Guagamela or Issus. Antigonus was at neither. It would therefore need to be Granicus at which Antigonus would be fifty-odd.

I've not heard any suggestion that the sarcophagus represents Granicus.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Thanks, we are going to use a detail of that figure from the sarcophagus and I intend to caption it along the lines of '...widely thought to be Perdiccas, although Antigonos is sometimes also suggested. Certainty is impossible'.

I'm also intending to use the two often-overlooked images from the lid of the sarcophagus, one apparently thought to show the murder of Perdiccas, the other the Battle of Gaza, although this again must be highly conjectural. Any thoughts?

Thanks Smile

Phil
Okay, dumb question time. I have an image on my hard drive that I want to run by you- I'm pretty sure it is Ptolemy I - but I can't seem to cut and paste it into here. How do I insert it into this post?
You have to upload it somewhere on the internet,like in photobucket.com or flickr.com or elsewhere,or have an external link from another site and post the link here.I also usually have problem uploading photos by attaching them through the RAT site. When you have the link of the image, you paste it between and the image appears here as if pasted in the message. Hope you understood something from my messy description.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Again, thankyou very much for your help. (Laudes to you). I do already have images of Demetrius (with horns) and Jona is providing me with a gold medallion/coin showing Olympias, along with one of Alexander IV. As long as these prove acceptable to our techno-geeks in the production department, and the others I am waiting on come in, then I think I have enough now. I'd still be interested to see more Successor images just for personal interest and possible future use though.

In your little montage, who is the chap bottom right?

Kindest regards

Phil
Or perhaps they just can't work out how to post it on the web :oops:
Quote:At left is the marble bust of a Royal lady, suggestion 1, that its Queen Olympias (Alex mom)... suggestion 2, that is Queen Amastris whom Alex give in marry to his generals...

Studying verginas ivory(with more tragic look), & coins from Alex mom, I have the impression that is Queen Olympias, the deep sad eyes & her look in profile side view, convinced me that its her... but then I never read or saw any coin of the other Queen Amastris... this bust its sort soft in her look.

In the middle is Demetrius Poliocertes,

"Alex" gave in marry to his generals? Which "Alex" and which "generals"?

The portrait you refer to as Polircetes seems - to me - to be Alexander the Great. But, then, they all represented themselves as such, didn't they?
Paralus|Michael Park

Academia.edu
Amastris was a niece of Darius, married off to Craterus but later rejected by him in favour of Antipater's daughter. She then married Dionysus of Heraclea. Following his death she married Lysimachos, before again being put aside, this time in favour of Ptolemy's daughter, Arsinoe. She was later murdered by two of her own sons. Poor lady.

As for successors showing themselves as Alexander, I know in statues etc they had themselves portrayed in the style of, and with some of the symbols of power of Alexander. On coinage the original Successors continued to show Alexander's portrait (usually Alexander as Herakles with lion scalp) for long after his death, even once the inscription declared themselves as king (basileus). Apparently, Demetrius Poliorcetes was the first to show an individualised portrait of himself, though still with the lion scalp etc on his coins.

Phil
I hope this works, I have never tried PhotoBucket before...

[Image: Gallic.jpg]

Heureka! LAUDES COMERUS Big Grin !!!!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Thanks very much for the instructions. I don't have time to try it out right now, but I will soon.

Thanks

Phil