Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awards in late roman empire?
Were awards such as phalerae and torques still used in that times (3rd. cent.)?
When did they stop using them?
What kind of award were awarded instead?

Maybe too newbe question, sorry :oops:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:The wars of Severus and Caracalla in the last years of the second century and the early third are the last in which dona in the imperial tradition are known to have been awarded in any numbers.
Quote:Sporadic references to dona continue into the fifth century and beyond, but they are exceedingly rare. ... The latest example of the granting of dona of a recognizably Roman pattern takes us into the sixth century, ...
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Torques were awarded for bravery. Julian was 'crowned' with a the torque of one of his draconarii, who seem to have been selected for the job from the bravest of men.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Julian was 'crowned' with a the torque of one of his draconarii, who seem to have been selected for the job from the bravest of men.
(Amm. Marc. 20.4.18 mentions the torques.)
It was my impression that, by that stage, such items were purely decorative, rather than ceremonial battle honours. Do you have a view on this, Robert?

Interestingly, Maxfield draws attention to the fact that Julian awarded coronae obsidionales (siege crowns) to the three men who broke into Maiozamalcha in AD 363.
Ammianus (24.4.24) says that Julian did so veterum more, "in the ancient manner", but the siege crown was traditionally awarded for the relief of a siege. So Julian evidently did not understand the ancient custom (which rather suggests that the whole business of dona militaria had died out by then).

(P.S. English-language text of Ammianus is at Lacus Curtius, but Bill's asterisks prevent direct linkage to the above passages. Sad )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:3ecz66zw Wrote:Julian was 'crowned' with a the torque of one of his draconarii, who seem to have been selected for the job from the bravest of men.
(Amm. Marc. 20.4.18 mentions the torques.)
It was my impression that, by that stage, such items were purely decorative, rather than ceremonial battle honours. Do you have a view on this, Robert?

Yes, I follow Speidel´s ideas here:
Speidel, M.P. (1985): The Master of the Dragon Standards and the Golden Torc: an Inscription from Prusias and Prudentius' Peristephanon, in: Transactions of the American Philological Association 115, pp 283-8.
I recently scanned the article so I can send anyone a copy if they wish.

We seem to be talking about personal awards for bravery here, not for units?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes, tha twas my impression too. What was the date of the medal found at Vindolanda? 2nd or 3rd c? Or 1st?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Empire provision of swords? Richie 10 2,924 06-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  SHORT SWORDS IN LATE EMPIRE SERVICE Anonymous 10 4,223 09-25-2011, 03:43 AM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  Lack of technological progress in late Roman Empire Eleatic Guest 112 33,899 05-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar