Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking for Prae louvre releif pics BEFORE repairs
Concerning the Louvre releif depicting Roman Officers (praetorian?) does anybody have any images of this BEFORE it's restoration? Just curious as to the condition the damage was in before reconstruction was done and I can't find any pictures of it without the repairs. Anything would be appreciated! thanks!
Dennis Flynn
I think that the repairs were done some time ago. All the photographs that I have seen show the repaired version. I'm not even sure that the thing is actually on display any longer. On the previous two occassions when I visited the Louvre (no more than two years ago), the attendents looked blank when I asked about it - and one chap directed me to the Ahenobarbus relief!

Caratacus
(Mike Thomas)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Good to hear their on top of things there
Dennis Flynn
Quote:Good to hear they're on top of things there

I don't know about being 'on top' of things. I have never been very impressed by the way that they organise things in the Louvre Museum, which isn't really as 'museum' as we understand things, it's more of an art gallery. They are also prone to close off sections without any prior notice, which can be a mite annoying if you have made a special trip to see something.

Frankly, the place (Louvre) is a bit of a barn and (IMO) somewhat out of touch with modern museum practice. They just stick things in cases with no attempt made to relate one exhibit to another or to tell any sort of a story. The BM used to be like that but they have learnt and are now trying to use their material to better advantage. Being French, they know best, of course! :wink:

Caratacus
(Mike Thomas)
sorry I was being sarcastic...the disadvantages of typing is you cant hear the tone!
Dennis Flynn
:roll: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:sorry I was being sarcastic...the disadvantages of typing is you cant hear the tone!

Not to worry - I think I got your drift there anyway. I suppose that's why they invented the 'smilies'?

Caratacus
(Mike Thomas)
I knew I was forgetting something...but that aside I was hoping to see a picture of it before restoration to see how much of it actually is Roman and how much out of the front figures were artistic reconstructions based on the undamaged figures.
Dennis Flynn
I have a vague recollection that I read that all the heads, for example, were 'reconstructions' based on the profiled head of the guardsman on the Great Trajanic Frieze .......not much of it beyond the torsos is original IIRC
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Louvre \'praetorian\' tunic observation Crispvs 8 2,380 02-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great