Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Silver Chalice
anyone see this movie? paul newman and jack palance. first time i had ever heard of it. Tivo recorded it. not TOO bad for an old movie.
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
In past years, when there were only three networks, Paul Newman used to run an ad in the papers wherever it was being shown warning people not to watch it. It was his first film role and in later years he was mortified at being in such a film. Personally, I think he was pissed off that Palance put him in the shade.
Pecunia non olet
The name rings a bell!! :?

Boy, that is not very cool of Newman, stealing possible income from another.....sadddddd, so saddd!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
He's gotten pretty cool since then, though. Don't know if they're over in your area or not, but he makes a line of organic foods, and first rate salad dressings (with hilarious "historical" captions on the labels), and donates the profit to charities. That's pretty cool, yes?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes his gear has been around for some time, but this is a new one on me. Just seems if he didn't like it, he could live with the embarassment! :wink:

After all, he made many good ones.... BC & the SDK, JJ to name but 2....
ah well, another fallen hero! :lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
And Hondo, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Nobody's Fool, all good ones.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Yes his gear has been around for some time, but this is a new one on me. Just seems if he didn't like it, he could live with the embarassment! :wink:

After all, he made many good ones.... BC & the SDK, JJ to name but 2....
ah well, another fallen hero! :lol: :lol:

OOPs, I'm thinking of redford there.....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
:oops: My oops, too. John Wayne was in Hondo; the movie I was thinking of was Hombre (where he plays a fellow raised by Apaches, somewhere in the SW US, or Northern Mexico, leading a group of city people across the desert and fighting banditos).
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Back in the 60s, I doubt that any actor was collecting residuals from tv showings of their old films.

Hombre was based on an Elmore Leonard story. It had some of the saltiest dialogue ever used in a western. In that one Richard Boone outshone Newman just as Palance had in the earlier film.
Pecunia non olet
The only place that I ever read or heard the story of Newman placing negative ads about the film was in an interview in Playboy magazine. (Yes, I looked at the pictures too! :wink: ) Since then, he has made some seriously good films as well as some more stinkers; "Winners" comes immediately to mind. But that film led him into road racing and he became a very, very good racing driver.