Chariots
I have seen somewhere illustrations of Roman chariots which have seats ?<br>
<br>
Can anyone direct me to them ?<br>
<br>
ta<br>
<br>
Conal <p></p><i></i>
I think one of the defining features of the Roman 'Currus' or chariot was that it was driven standing up - it had an open back and a closed front, and the driver leaned back against the reins in order to control the horses. Passengers seemed to have stood as well; Juvenal writes of 'the young blade (a rich equestrian?) who has squandered his fortune and still reckons to get command of a cohort (as tribune!), lashing his horses down the Flaminian Way like Achilles' charioteer, reins bunched in one hand and his mistress standing beside him wrapped in a riding cloak...' - sounds like the chariot was the Ferrari of its day...<br>
<br>
A different type of vehicle, which might be the one you're thinking of, was the Cisium, which did have seats and seems to have been used as a Roman taxi cab! This page has the details (plus some images):<br>
<br>
www.ukans.edu/history/ind...isium.html <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross
One ofthe most accessible illustrations is in the Osprey Romano-Byzantine armies 4th-9th centuries, which shows the triumph of Constantius (mid 4th century) showing him seated in a gilded quadriga chariot.<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Paul <p></p><i></i>
Thanks guys but not the illustrations i have seen.<br>
<br>
They are out there soemwhere !!!<br>
<br>
Conal <p></p><i></i>