Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City Government in Asia Minor
Ave Civitas,

I need the clarification of some Greek titles. Is there anyone who can aid me in untying my knotted thoughts?

I am writing a novel set in the later Roman Empire.

I have read (in the book City Government in Asia Minor) what I thought were appropriate chapters to enlighten me. It seems to me that having a command of Greek is a prerequisite for this text.

What I am still in the dark about is;

How were these city officials addressed and I, of course, know nothing of conjugating words in Greek.

Here are my questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that the Logistai acted like Curatores, that is a Logistai would be resposible for aqueducts, street maintenance, etc.

2. If my character is speaking of him would he be refered to as (the/a) Logistai

[the Logistai looked at him]

or is he a Logistoi?

3. Am I correct in assuming that the City cheif magistrates (Duoviri) would be called the Archi or would he be the Archoi?

Again, if my character is speaking of him would he be the Archai or would he be the Archoi?

Another title that confuses me is Asiarchai. What is it? I searched the book for a definition and could find nothing.

Thanks again for all your help.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
LOGISTIS (sing.) = accountant.
LOGISTAI (plural) is considered more correct but at that time LOGISTOI might also be apropriate.

It would be possible for an "accountant" who controled public money to assume or have administrative duties.
Hope it helps.

Kind regards
Ave Stefanos,

Thanks for your quick response. I appreciate it.

Yes, knowing that the translation of Logistis is a great help. I tried finding internet sites that might translate these words, but many require that I read Greek script (which I cannot).

I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Quote:3. Am I correct in assuming that the City cheif magistrates (Duoviri) would be called the Archi or would he be the Archoi?

Again, if my character is speaking of him would he be the Archai or would he be the Archoi?

Another title that confuses me is Asiarchai. What is it? I searched the book for a definition and could find nothing.

Thanks again for all your help.

Tom

A properly educated (classicising) Greek speaker would most likely have referred to the chierg magistrate as an archon (plural archontes).

AFAIR the Asiarch refers to the (largely titular) head of the provincial assembly. Many Roman provinces had an assembly of dignitaries whose functions were largely social and ceremonial, but who also discussed things like taxation distribution and other questions of mutual concern.

edit: if you can get yourself a decent edition of Pliny's letters to Trajan, you should find useful explanations of offices in Bithynia and Pontos, which likely were very similar.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Ave Carlton Bach,

Thanks for your reply. I apologize for the delay in responding, but Christmas happened.

I will look for a good copy of Pliny's letters. Thanks for the information.

Hope you had a good set of holidays.

Me
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Income and population distribution: Europe, Asia, Africa Eleatic Guest 9 2,375 07-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest