Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Coin\'s Tale
I've started a little blog on museum objects that I like, plus an occasional digression on things I find interesting or irritating or otherwise worth a coupla lines. I think this one may be nice for RATS. ("Rambambashi" is my nickname over here, and it has no deeper significance.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Hey, that is an interesting site/blog! Mainz is one of my pet Roman sites Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Mainz is one of my pet Roman sites Big Grin
Of course! No one who has visited Mainz has not fallen in love with that city, which boasts so many Roman museums! I love it too.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:3r38e44w Wrote:Mainz is one of my pet Roman sites Big Grin
Of course! No one who has visited Mainz has not fallen in love with that city, which boasts so many Roman museums! I love it too.

Well, I have not yet made the trip myself, but it has so much interesting history to see, I have always been facinated by the finds from there!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I've started a little blog on museum objects that I like, plus an occasional digression on things I find interesting or irritating or otherwise worth a coupla lines. I think this one may be nice for RATS. ("Rambambashi" is my nickname over here, and it has no deeper significance.)

Hallo, Jona,
I always read your web articles with great interest! Concerning the coin which was found in Haltern, I have some thoughts. Firstly, this coin was struck in honour of Mark Antony's legio IV, which is not certainly the IV Macedonica. It could be IV Scythica as well as other unknown legion with the same number which didn't survive Augustus's army reform of 30 BC. Secondly, the fact that this coin was found on the Lippe do not suggests that legion was there during Augustus's German campaigns. Coins could simply travel throughout Empire with merchants and not only with legionaries. Therefore, I see no reasons to assume that legio IV Macedonica, I Germanica or V Alaudae were in Haltern on the ground of Mark Antony's coin found there. Waiting for your comments.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Marcus Tineius Valens, mil. coh. II Matt. eq.
/Oleg Tiniaev/
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.auxilia.ru">www.auxilia.ru
Quote:Well, I have not yet made the trip myself, but it has so much interesting history to see, I have always been facinated by the finds from there!
This is why you will come to the next RAT conference. :lol: :wink:
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:
Quote:Well, I have not yet made the trip myself, but it has so much interesting history to see, I have always been facinated by the finds from there!
This is why you will come to the next RAT conference. :lol: :wink:

Is that an invitation then!! Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Concerning the coin which was found in Haltern, I have some thoughts. Firstly, this coin was struck in honour of Mark Antony's legio IV, which is not certainly the IV Macedonica.
Thanks for pointing this out! You may be quite right. For today, I will leave it as it is. But I'll put online an addendum. Thanks!
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Is that an invitation then!! Smile
Yep. Next year, we'll meet in Mainz, but Jasper, Christian, Jurjen, and I (who appear to be the organizers) still have to begin organizing. What's reasonably certain, however, is that there is A LOT to see in Mainz.
Jona Lendering
My website
What about Medusa? Did she leave the team? Wink
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:What about Medusa? Did she leave the team? Wink
Dunno. I was not always there when the appointment was made. But if she belongs to the crew, I owe her an apology for not mentioning her. :oops:
Jona Lendering
My website